Western hemisphere team

GregNuspel

Western hemisphere team

Post by GregNuspel » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:31 pm

I was wondering if anyone is interested in a Western Hemisphere team?

I would like to be able to fly with a team so that we could all help each other. I think the German team is a good example of what happens when you are working together.

With a western hemisphere team it would be easier to practice techniques together due to the time zones.
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi Greg

You can count with me (DST GMT -2). I´m home after 21:00 GMT most every day. LLCup only on sundays... :(

René
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:38 am

I'd be willing to try. I'm in California. GMT-8

Due to scheduling limitations, I'm rather confined to theLLC Sunday sessions.

I am unfamiliar with "Team Soaring" and how it works but if the LLC "Left Hemisphere" team can benefit from a pilot who can contribute to the occasional Sunday task, then I'm willing to lend a wing.

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:24 am

Most of us only fly on Sundays this side of the big pond. We'll learn about team flying together, biggest thing is to share experience and help find lift.
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

Raz

Post by Raz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:08 am

Im done here in Tejas..........Dallas that is.

About the only thing I can contribute is picking out the areas for outlanding. :oops:
Raz

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:47 am

I do think a team this side of the pond is a good idea. I've wanted to get on your server Greg but on the Sunday's I was able to make it by the time I was able to get on the server was already full !. So that might be something to sort out either members get on-line very early or a dedicated server for 'westerners'. Also I think having active practice at least once a week would go a long way as well. Count me in as I need more team flying experience :lol:. Lately Thursday has been better for me as it starts that little bit earlier in the day but I want to try and start flying Sundays again too.
Rick Blythin

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:30 pm

I've erased all events from my sunday calender and I'll be attending the Sunday LLC.

Do I need to do something to register as a "Left Bank""West Side" team member if I'm already registered with the LLC?

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:52 pm

Not sure how to handle this.. the script isn't quite adapted for custom teams. everyone not from a country with more than 5? participants is automatically assigned to the "united countries" team. If you are from the US or Brazil, you will not be assigned in this team, but fly for your own country instead, and if you from eg canada or NZ, you will be part of the "united countries" and I don't see an easy way to fix it.

Except.. if you are willing to forego your own flag. If you like, I could create a "western hemisphere" "country", and I can assign anyone interested to this team (it will need >5 members, otherwise you will be assigned to the "united countries' again!). Unless swt can do some magic ?

Anyway, for now, if you want to fly under this "Western hemisphere" flag, mail me, i'll add the info to the db. It would also need a flag, and a name. We will see what we can do from there, but i'm not promising anything..

Vertigo

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:45 am

I don't mind if we are official or not, I just hope to get a group together that will help each other along the learning curve. It would be nice to fly together and provide each other with encouragement and suggestions along the way. Warning most of us are still new to all this so we could just end up guiding each other to a good picnic site in the middle of nowhere :lol: I usually fly Saturday mornings and some evenings, Sunday is reserved for LLC.
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:04 am

As far as Im concerned, I don't feel the LLC team should have to address this new flag/team designation.
I realize the efforts involved with simply hosting and organizing the event are sufficient tasks.

It was a fun idea but I'm satisfied with teaming with my US mates.

However, if the LLC organizers choose to take on this matter,

I have a flag ready: :wink:

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:02 am

My feeling was it would just be 'unofficial' to start with. We'd all fly under our own countries but just help each other during LLC and arrange the odd practice session and get some team flying in. I don't think anything needs to be official at the moment. The only thing I think we need to figure out is how to ensure we get on the same server.
Rick Blythin

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:08 am

It is my opinion too.

Best Regards

René
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:25 am

I always host on Sundays, Lowlands GN Canada. Come fly with me. Teamspeak helps if you have it, as I don't type well and there is no spell check :oops: No one seems to use it on my server so it would be open, mikes are inexpensive. We can try to get together for a flight efore had my MSN is soarduck@hotmail.com
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

swt

Post by swt » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:28 am

I'd prefer not to mess Countries with teams. If there is need for team scoring, it can be added, but I think it should be separated from countries.
It is matter to add another "property" to each pilot. In addition to country designator pilot can have some "TeamID" - then any scoring can be done based on this info, backwards compatible ...

kaleu

Post by kaleu » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Hi,

I think a team-scoring would be really great (ok the work you did so far is also just GREAT :lol: , but I think it would be a nice addition)