Impressions day 10...or the lack of them...

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:31 am

Damn, I definately picked the wrong day to win...
Imo today's task was much harder imo.

But what I forgot to say in my previous post was:
I think I will give the tasksetter a christmas present,
a checklist... ;)
It was a real pity that the startheight was wrong..
I also didn't like the fact that the only low-amount-pilot-server had a wrong password.
But what I did like was the task.
Just realistic weather.
If I would have flown on a server I would rate it with a 9.5 due to such a great task!
Nice work.
Think positive, flaps negative.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:38 am

errare human est.

The blame is on me for the wrong password server. I corrected it though, and some people connected to it aferwards.. as for the task.. I've been proposing to test fly each task at least a few times to make sure there are no problems with it, but SL won't let me for some reason ;) Maybe the reason is that these tasks are finalized the same day: no one flew them, so no one notices any issues with them until they are posted. If you want to volounteer to test fly them, at the expense of being allowed to fly in LLC, we will consider it :) But since the difficulty is equal for all pilots, i don't think its a big issue.

LM

Post by LM » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:56 am

LOL I'm sure I was the slowest pilot who has finished task. 3h40 so the speed was 49.05 km/h :D ...but I did it!! ...and also crashed after 2 turns

Thanks for the netherland guy who was waiting for me!
Good task! The biggest problem? Too low at the beginning - after few kms I've found a lift between hills and trees; then better but too much water I think; realistic, bad weather :)

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:22 am

cruiser wrote:OMG... look at top10. What is with you Germans ? Got nothing better to do ? :lol: :lol: :twisted:
With 65 registered pilots you would have thought there would be a constant german server between Sunday and Thursday running with practice sessions :wink: .. I just noticed I went 0.8 km woo hoo I didn't think it was even that much :P . Although there's a large difference in my flight time, results say 02:22, my log book says 28:06. It definately takes longer then 2 minutes to glide down from 900 odd meters. It's not a big deal since I ended up aborting this task. Still when it's for points it might be wise to compare times to make sure there's no large differences :)
Rick Blythin

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:41 am

mosguy, the logbook registers time you flew (after takeoff). The results show the time you spent racing (after you started). Hence the difference..

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:09 am

not easy....

i flew with KL again and our decission to take only half water with us wasn't that bad as we later realized. We started and after releasing i entered a +3.0 that made me hope...but seems as if this was the only 3.0 in whole slovenia that day - for us. So we went on the ridge to test if it provides some lift and climbed 300m in about 25 minutes :? :lol:
Right after start we went towards the ridges north of Lesce and found a nice thermal lifting us up to cloudbase. As we continued we saw G.Probst and M.Pirker (PY) at the horizon which started much earlier than we. After overtaking PY he hung himself on our rudders and we couldn't really get rid of him till after TP1 when we got very low. about 20km before TP2 KL and i were in about 700m MSL and i took a 1.5m/s thermal while KL continued. I climbed up to cloudbase to get finalglide altitude with Mc 1.0 when i saw PY approaching my cloud with not much altitude. Unfortunately PY flew with full water and so i was able to get some kilometers between him and me. After TP2 KL and I already catched up to AS who also started about 10 minutes before us and and finished together with him.

ultralajt

Post by ultralajt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:17 am

I was doing quite well my flight, but unfortunately my PC crashed (damm blue screen :evil: ) just before 2TP already covering a distance of 121km and at 1440 m altitude, just exiting from thermal wishing to push the pedall to the medal :D .

I am not happy with my competition. My PC frreeze 3 times already, and couple of times I was not at home, to participate the competition.
But there will be some more tasks, and I hope that my bad will end soon :?

Congratulations for the best 10 of yesterday race.

Regards!
Mitja
MS S5-HIGH
My brand new website:
http://ultralajt.webs.com/index.htm

Pierre.v.d.Elshout

Post by Pierre.v.d.Elshout » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:35 am

My first lowland day...not very succesfull :P Outlanding after 36 km between some trees. :oops:

Glider-Equipment.nl

Slow_and_Low

Post by Slow_and_Low » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:52 am

What a differences!!

We started with a big group, but after the first glide almost everybody landed/crashed or turned around.
First 50km's together with WM low with 0.7 till 1.2 lift. Only when the hills ended we found a descent thermal of about 2.6 to 1400m. Then low again before tp1 and 1.3m/s again. After the turn a 2.6 followed by max 1.3m/s climbs.
Halfway the second leg the first already finished which boosted my mental state :?
The finalglide I started together with F3, but he had some water left and gained on me. I found the best route to go down and was very low at 9km's. Too low to make it. A 0.8m/s brought me again on fg, but another sinkhole made me finish really slow with 95km/h over the finishline.
All together a bad flight, but not sure where I screwed it. The lift just wasn't there.

I must say that I'm impressed by the people who tried hard and long to finish the task. LM scored 3:40 with an avg of 49.1km/h. Well done!

I also saw both P.Hoeve as T.Kuijpers joining the SL server, but after some minutes leaving it again. We were not at the maximum yet. Strange?!

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:40 am

TimKuijpers wrote: If I would have flown on a server I would rate it with a 9.5 due to such a great task!
Nice work.
Yes, I agree. Very nice task. But what confuses me is that the thermal strength variation was set to low, but actually it was very high. I experienced everything from 0.5 to 5m lift yesterday.

Good task. And reallistic what one can expect on an average flying day in Slovenia.

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am

Vertigo wrote:mosguy, the logbook registers time you flew (after takeoff). The results show the time you spent racing (after you started). Hence the difference..
Thanks for the clarification.. Just ran the task again made it to just after TP 1 then ended up outlanding. I agree thermal strength was a little odd, I hit everything from 0.3-10. Hopefully more people will have better luck on Sunday. I think this task has one of the highest number for people not finishing :shock:
Rick Blythin

LM

Post by LM » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:02 pm

Slow_and_Low wrote:
I must say that I'm impressed by the people who tried hard and long to finish the task. LM scored 3:40 with an avg of 49.1km/h. Well done!
8) What I had to do? Only finish this task. No option for outlanding cause my crew went on strike (too less beer on the fridge).

Thermals? Before starting the task I catched more than 3m/s few times...during the tasks 4m/s once, then about 1.1 avg. Flying alone I couldn't hit the phase and center of thermals. Difficult but cool 8)

Haldor

Post by Haldor » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:47 pm

I have just reflown this task offline and tried to correct all those things I felt I could improve. Managed a 98km/h avg :) To bad that wasnt yesterday.......

Congrats to the German team which nicked 8 of the top 10 places! Awesome!

Also well done to those who finished this task, it wasnt easy and I feared outlanding more than once myself...

Cant wait till sunday for Day11 ;)
Haldor
LS6a / LN-GHY
Norway

~~ if this is torture chain me to the wall ~~

kaleu

Post by kaleu » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi,

it was really nice to fly on the "german server" yesterday :wink: . 5 of the 8 "top10 germans" were on the server.
WH and I started about 6-9minutes before the startgate closed followed by a huge number of pilots :wink: , only 4 pilots had started the task so far. We decided to fly north to some good looking clouds and they worked with ~2m/s. I think on the whole server there were only two pilots who had to land out after a few km, even though the start gate was a bit low.
After this thermal we followed the ridges for about 40km without thermalling. The next 2 lifts were around 2m/s.
On the 2nd leg I didn't take any thermal, as I couldn't find one stronger than ~1m/s. So I had to take 1,4 short after last TP to stay up. There I gained alt for final glide, but only 10km later I found a nice 2,3m/s thermal...a bit too late.
I finished ~2min before WH was home, but at this time I didn't think that it was a really fast flight, compared to the Dutch "weak weather pros" :wink:, especially the 2nd leg. But it looks like the waveriders are fast with waek thermals, too :lol: :wink: .
All in all a really challenging task and 59% of the pilots made it around. I think this is really very good (also for the day factor :wink: ).

Topsurfi

Post by Topsurfi » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:27 pm

I was on the SL server together with BB as we sometimes fly as team.
I started first 1min after opening of the start gate because this way I could have restarted in case there would have been problems on the first leg.
But the ridges to the north gave fine lift and so I went on.
BB soon started to lose ground on me what I think was due to the fact that I had tanked 150l and he only around 100.
It was a close to perfect race for me until TP 2 where I was so low that I really had to find somthing and I had to try different clouds and finally had to gain 200m with a 1m lift. Lost at least 5 minutes here.
BB warned me that TK was getting close, but although I could finish in front of him he was faster cause he started later.
Best thermal was integrated 3.2m. Some thermals where difficult to center because very close to the ridge.
I loved this race because of the low start alt (don't have to circle above cloud base) and the bad thermals which is way more realistic than the usual settings. Great task Lowlands...

Philipp