Impressions day 10...or the lack of them...

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:28 pm

kaleu wrote: it was really nice to fly on the "german server" yesterday :wink:
My pleasure to fly on "german server", although I am not a German, I have at least a german name :) Is a nice to fly with you, boys, but you are too good and I have usually depression when Karsten and others finish a task and I am at first leg as yestarday... But I hope I will learn some trick from you... :)

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:19 pm

@Karsten: Darn dayfactor, at a day with several 5m/s not even 50% finishes, and when thermals are set to weak the dayfactor reaches one! :evil:
But still I don't really get the term 'weak'... I'm used to fly with weak thermals where 0,7m/s are good ones...
I don't take water at all at such days.
But day 10 looked still promising in the mountains, so I took water with me.
But while I was there I heard SL and some others strugling with <1m/s
So I decided to drop the water after I passed the mountains...
Unfortunately I hit a 2m/s and after that I turned 2 times on 1.9...
But I must say it was good for the stess-factor, else I would have got the problem of when to drop the water...
But: I'll be back :twisted: I will join every server needed to find you ;)

@SL, the problem is that when the jointime stops while I'm in chatroom, It gives an error when loading.
What I did was join your server, immideately fill my plane and join the session.
But I got an error report so I sticked to my own lonely game.
Think positive, flaps negative.

borisbr.

Post by borisbr. » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:35 pm

About two minutes before the end of the join time the host of the server I was in disconnected. I quickly tried to join another server, but by the time I had closed Condor all the servers had jumped to 'waiting for race start' and I couldn't join anymore. So I had to resort to flying the task in singleplayer mode, but I used exactly the same settings. I thought it was a great task to fly because of the realistic settings, and had a great time. It's a shame that when I tried outlanding I forgot to extend my landing gear utill I was pretty close to the ground. I tried to extend it but of course I had to take my hands off the controls resulting in a "high-G experience". That wasn't the first plane I crashed though... :cry:

Anyway, despite having to fly on my own, I really enjoyed the task. I hope that there will be more of these in the future.
I hate it when gravity works too hard....

The Netherlands
Reg#: PH-1272
Comp#: WB1

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:53 pm

OK, I repaired my Ventus overnight after the unfortunate encounter with a ghost tree during a 'near Condor freeze' on day 10.
I promised myself another chance on this task, offline.
This time I loaded 100 liters and, after studying the map, changed tactics.
After passing the start line, I took the time to gain maximum height and followed the course line right through the higher mountains to the first TP, wondering how that would turn out.
Did anyone else try that?
Actually that went rather good, with 2-3m thermals and I could climb to over 1800 meters and slip through a mountain pass.
After TP1 I even hit a 4 meter thermal over the ridge, just where I needed it, and didn't need to circle until after TP2, where it took quite some time to find the right lift to reach final glide altitude.

After all: Nice and challenging task! When I first saw the weather conditions I had my doubts.
However, 92.14 km/h on the re-try proves that the repair of my Ventus was succesfull. :)
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 pm

thermal wrote:I took the time to gain maximum height and followed the course line right through the higher mountains to the first TP, wondering how that would turn out.
Did anyone else try that?
I think everyone over 100kmh (top10) took the same route.
See my IGC file when its published.

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:13 pm

@cruiser,

OK, thanks. I noticed that the (some) .igc files can now be downloaded from the LLC site when the scoreboard settles.
I'll study them, including yours, and learn something, no doubt.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:18 pm

cruiser wrote:
I think everyone over 100kmh (top10) took the same route.
no, KL and me and also some others took the route south around the mountains ;)

Patrick Hoeve

Post by Patrick Hoeve » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:33 pm

SL, I didn't tell the whole story....
I had the same experience as Tim when trying to join your server. I was in the Flight PLanner, planning my flight. Then I got some kind of error message and was staring ans the flight didn't start....I was staring at my desktop again. I quit Condor, and tried again to join your server....by then i got the message that the session was ful.

Then I tried it solo...but by then I was flying in circle 6, so that was of no use....
3A

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:35 pm

mosquito wrote: no, KL and me and also some others took the route south around the mountains ;)
Aha... nice to know. Thanks.