Condor vs RL?

BartBerendsen

Condor vs RL?

Post by BartBerendsen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi,

I have a question/issue, I have not used Condor yet, but are considering the purchase.

I was watching the results of the races and some IGC-files (great feature!!). I was wondering how condor is compared to RL.
I saw the winners blasting along at speeds 200-250km/h, only taking 3-4m/s. I have not flown in the competition region, but have not encountered such conditions (yet) in RL.....
Is the sim really as good as people say, e.g the conditions/ weather simulation/ competition simulation are a lot like RL?
Or are the conditions just like this, so you won't spend half the night behind your computer to fly a nice task, or are we all such idiots that we can't do that well in RL :?

LM

Post by LM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:58 pm

I think that in LLC tasks are quite short, thats why we can take about 5 strong thermals when the task is about 150 - 200 km and we can fly 200 or 250 between them :) Tasks are not easy as you can see that about 50% of pilots finished it. Rather realistic weather.

Slow_and_Low

Post by Slow_and_Low » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Bart,

You already got my answer, cause I advised you to get it for Rieti training... :)

But it is (in my opinion) good to train certain skills. It is not RL, but many things of RL you can find back and train. It is a real simulator in that aspect.

TimKuijpers

Re: Condor vs RL?

Post by TimKuijpers » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 am

BartBerendsen wrote:I have a question/issue, I have not used Condor yet, but are considering the purchase.
as SL says: Buy it :) only the fun you'll get out of it will be enough..
BartBerendsen wrote:I was watching the results of the races and some IGC-files (great feature!!). I was wondering how condor is compared to RL.
I saw the winners blasting along at speeds 200-250km/h, only taking 3-4m/s. I have not flown in the competition region, but have not encountered such conditions (yet) in RL.....
I thought of the same, but when you start thinking; I never dealed with 3000m cloudbase, and stronger thermalls then 3m/s (seeyou)
While yesterday the worst thermal was 3.2m/s and the best 5.1m/s
With Mc3.0 and 200 liters ballast you should be flying 200 then..
A discus2 is a bit different than a cirrus75 ;)
BartBerendsen wrote:Is the sim really as good as people say, e.g the conditions/ weather simulation/ competition simulation are a lot like RL?
The conditions set by the tasksetters are often much and much better than RL, (dutch weather)
The competition settings are often made more arcade, but if you want to (and I want..)you can make things just like RL.
The weather simulation is a thing I don't argue about anymore.. :roll:
But I still believe that with lowcloudbases it is very RL related.
(I can't give an opion about ridge/wave/high cloudbase because I've never been there)
BartBerendsen wrote:Or are the conditions just like this, so you won't spend half the night behind your computer to fly a nice task, or are we all such idiots that we can't do that well in RL :?
It would go too far to call myself an idiot :) but I have flown some interesting tasks (close to RL) between 250 and 400km,.
But not many pilots will join my session when they see the weather settings.
So I just join populated servers as the multiplayer part means more to me then RL-tasks.
Think positive, flaps negative.

BartBerendsen

Post by BartBerendsen » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanx guys, when the next paycheque comes in I'll order it. I still have some thoughts about it, but I'll see.

TimKuijpers wrote:
  • A discus2 is a bit different than a cirrus75
Gee, haven't noticed that so far......

To Low&Slow: hoping to find such conitions at Rieti next year :o [/list][/quote]

Slow_and_Low

Post by Slow_and_Low » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:22 pm

Conditions are up to the tasksetter. Most people like booming weather. I like it more challenging.

I know that this year all tasks in Rieti were flown over 100km/h with peeks of 138km/h on a 350km task, so be prepared that you have to fly a bit faster :) And they said that this year was the worst year they had ever...

Buy it, subscribe to LL and I see you on Thursday