LOW-END Gliding event- Participants comments.

John Verschoor

LOW-END Gliding event- Participants comments.

Post by John Verschoor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Please keep the other LOW-END topics clean, post your remarks, jokes, insults and advices here :)
Thanks in advance!

thermal

Re: LOW-END Gliding event- Participants comments.

Post by thermal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi John,

Great idea to revive the legendary Low-(L)End spirit to get us through the winter!
Some of the nice things of those "Mother of all Condor competitions" were the hilarious briefings and ofcourse the pilot's stories after a race.

For me, the first training/test task was not a great succes.
I was on "stand-by" for the evening to pick up family from the station, and on top of that, after TP2, my joystick's hat got stuck, leaving only a view over the right wing.
Not good if you're trying to recover altitude along a ridge :?
To avoid a crash I made a safety landing.

I took my stick apart (again) and gave it a good dose of contact spray.
Hope that helps!

See you all in Slovenia.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

John Verschoor

Post by John Verschoor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks ZA!

I hope the old lowlands fun factor gets recognized and attracts more of the early generation Condor pilots.
As for the silly briefings, keep an eye on the Storyline. You might get to play a part in there as well :)

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Aaaargh!

Not only did I lose my ASW28 in a very nasty bird strike enroute, the only thing I could rescue from the wreckage was my beloved iPaq!
After being picked up by a friendly helicopter pilot, I joined the others and put my iPaq on the bar to dry.
When I saw SOI's new helmet, well, the rest of the evening rolled down as expected, until a "financial issue" developed with an angry bar lady. Didn't understand a word she said, but she pointed at my iPaq and gave me an address. :?:

So for me, the next task will probably be a very long walk.
And I don't even have money left to buy a map of the area. :(
I hope I don't have to swim across fjords on task #3... :cry:

SHT

Post by SHT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:06 am

After a little bit of trouble Finding the staring sector, 76 (John) and I started the task. The first leg was relatively short however some people (i'm not giving names) still got lost...

After tp1 John and I split up and I followed the mountains which where straight on course. After climbing to a comfertable hight WW (Jan) joined the ridge a few hundred meters below me and we continioud to tp2. Tp2 was fairly easy to find, but again mistakes were made (Just like SOI and his New girlfriend, aka moose).

The final glide was fairly easy, however WW saw some nice attractive sea horses on the bottom of the lake what caused brain failure and resulted in a great New diving spot for airplane enthousiasts.

Because we are leaving norway SOI had to leave behind his moose.... luckily a very well known animal on the Veluwe (Netherlands) has it's roots in the up coming country of destination....

P.s.
I blame the autocorrect for errors :D

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 am

I was lucky, the boat that retrieved me has taken me striaght to Scotland. I am making sure that there are plenty of of Haggis for everyone when they arrive. You can eat them but they are quite friendly creatures.
Condor CN = E20

thermal

I found the Monster!

Post by thermal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, believe it or not, I found the monster!
Or better, it found me.
There I was, flying very low over water-soaked hills in a borrowed Ventus (sorry Angus, I email you the coordinates where I parked it), while still trying to revive my previously water-soaked PDA... :shock:

I now know why the Lochness monster myth is kept alive for so long and nobody seems to be able to find it!
The "Monster" doesn't live in the lake anymore, there's a whole family of them living up in those desolated misty hills.
They probably left the water many years ago, to escape from those pesky scientists who keep trying to catch them.
They also changed their diet from fish to grass, birds and .... the occasional tourist ! :?

As said, I was very low, circling myself up the hill in a 0.2 m/s thermal, "something" suddenly grabbed my plane's tail and pulled me from the sky.
I made a soft landing on a meter thick wet moss and climbed out of the cockpit.

And there it was ... the Lochness monster, or even a couple of them and they did not look friendly.
The little ones already expressively licked their oversized theeths. :roll:
I decided not to start a conversation, grabbed my PDA and started running down hill as fast as I could.
Checking my PDA later, I saw that I did that faster than my average speed flying until that moment.

I reached the shore of the lake and a couple of fishermen gave me a lift.
They had seen me running, and were very interested in what kind of sport I was training for, in the coming Scottish Highland games ... they never heard of down hill running. :?
Like you all, they wouldn't believe me anyway so I decided to leave the myth intact.

Sofar, I haven't had much luck in this Low-(l)end competition.
First, an attack by angry birds of prey, and now by prehistoric carnivores.
I know the tasksetter likes "alternative tasks", but I wonder what comes next... :?:
To prepare for that, I continue drying my PDA. :(

ZA

John Verschoor

Re: I found the Monster!

Post by John Verschoor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:03 am

Awesome story ZA, thanks for sharing it! Too bad you had no screenshot to back it up a bit:)
Despite my request, not much other screenshots were sent in, but then, not much distance has been flown...
I received this one from EDB, he called it Oly rather than Nessie for some reason...
oly.jpg

Hard to validate this picture, as EDB didn't even fly the task...

And SOI sent me a lot of his monster pic's, but then, he does that every Friday... not something I should post here:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Nahhh, that's a cartoon. :D But, here is the real thing!
After I first saw the creatures, I flinched and fell flat on my back.
My PDA must have taken this photo by accident.
I found it this morning while checking if it still works.
BTW, this is one of the babys. :shock:

Sorry for the quality, after all the PDA is still wet and 13 years old.

ZA
Baby Nessie Monster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.