which glider to use?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Edge

which glider to use?

Post by Edge » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 am

The selection of gliders in Condor is fantastic
but I never know which one to use for a specific task.

I tend to stick to the ASW 27B but would like
to try others and perhaps get the Plane pack 1
upgrade.

Should I use a specific class for mountain,
cross country, ridge races?
ImageImage

Fiddeflygare

Post by Fiddeflygare » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 am

I don't think you need a specific glider depending on the task. It is more about wich type of glider you prefer. The classes are more different between one and another if the weather is bad or good. But generally i don't think it makes a very big difference. I flew the Ls8 in the first competition day i joined in Iron Ridgerace Series -HI2- and since the scoring in most cases are dependant of the glider index it does not matter wich glider you fly. Accept in a standard class glider you do not have to fly as fast as 15m since it has a lower index since it does not have flaps :wink:. If i had flown a 18m glider i would have had to fly conciderably faster than the 15m gliders in order to beat them. I had 15m gliders placing after me in the scoreboard even though they had a faster average speed but because of the Ls8:s index i beat them :D. Regretfully i cant say where the breaking point is in km/h.

Fiddeflygare

Post by Fiddeflygare » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am

Oh almost forgot.. i recommend you to get PP1, It makes flying online competitions that is locked to 18m class much more fun. It is not easy to keep up with a LS10, Ventus2 CX or ASG29 With a Ls8-s or Discus2 C :wink: And then you also can try flying in the World class wich a friend of mine named Sperm-class since he thought the PW-5 looks like little sperms flying around :lol:

Edge

Post by Edge » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 am

ImageImage

Jono

Post by Jono » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 am

Exactly what Fredrik said, its more to do with what you feel comfortable flying in the game, because there isnt a great deal of difference between the gliders in each class (exept LS6). For example I never flew the ASG29 or ASW27b on tasks in condor because I didnt feel comfortable in thermals with it. Id rather stick with the ventus' or sometimes even the LS6 if the weather was weak enough, not that it ever is in condor :roll:

I too would recommend getting PP1 though.
J.Davidson
CN: R6

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

True. pp1 is amazing. i used to fly the asw 27 a lot but sinds pp1 i fell totaly in love with the 29. i don't think i flew the 27 anymore after pp1.

Does anybody know how the indexes work? For example the 29 has 120 and the 27 has 114. Does that mean the 29 has to fly 5% (6/120) faster than the 27 to get the same score? Or do the distance-points change this ratio?
PH-1504, KOE

Bulau

Re: which glider to use?

Post by Bulau » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Edge wrote:Should I use a specific class for mountain,
cross country, ridge races?
Some things I gleaned from forum many months ago. Sorry, I did not make note of who original poster was for everything:

If you are racing a task in which any type of plane is permitted, then it is a matter of beating the handicap.

The handicaps in Condor are based in the performance of gliders under average German conditions.

When the thermals are strong and wide, the inter-thermal speed is high and in that case a 15 m class is unbeatable (with a good pilot flying it, of course). Just compare the polars.

When the tasks are slow, then the standard and 15 m class have very similar performances, so the standard will win because of handicap.
With weak thermals, and sometimes with narrow ones, the open gliders will climb much better, and the inter-thermal speed will be slow, where they really shine ( close to 60:1).

Weak thermals, and sometimes narrow thermals: Open

Not so weak: Standard

Strong: 15 m

The 18m planes in the Plane Pack have now flaps, which makes the comparison with 15m planes difficult.

Comments by fixyou http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... ight=class
18m:
LS10: Crusing around, having fun at freeflight
Ventus2cx: Racing, especially ridge-races
ASG29: Also racing but more on thermals

15m:
ASW27: Racing all types of tasks, great glider!
LS6: Freeflight, sometimes racing on weak conditions

Open:
Nimbus4: I don't like the ASW22 so I always take the Nimbus when flying open class

Standard:
LS8: racing (especially thermal tasks) and flying around, one of my favourite gliders in the game
Discus2: Ridge Tasks