Centering thermals

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Well i guess your right that it is just down to personal preference. I don't like thermaling at to high speeds. I've askt a lot of pilots and heard a lot of different things. I tried higher speeds and lower speeds but the speeds i mentioned just seem to work for me. And i win races as well. There probably isn't a right way of doing it. Its just what gets you up the fastest. I thermal an ls-4 at 90.

I personaly have no problems at all with controling the glider at lower speeds. If you are smooth with the controls and stay coordinated it flies just as well as at higher speeds. (in condor as well)

I did fly an nimbus 3DM with water in the tanks (don't know the wingloading of that thing), but that's not the same as a fully loaded ls-8. I will be in the future as i like flying competitions, its just that i'm to busy with studie's at the moment.
PH-1504, KOE

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Try to see where condor is different from RL, and give your advice for condor here.
Your advice for RL can be placed at here

I try to explain once more:
A person asked for help how to learn to center thermals.
I give him some tricks which should him,
then you start saying they are not valid based on how you are flying.
And what I've learned in the past 3? days is that you are a top notch pilot.
You can't expect a beginner to start learning the perfection details on thermalling before he can even climb.
First learn to climb, then learn to climb a bit faster, because flying 120 instead of 110, is just a tiny tiny bit difference in condor.
Think positive, flaps negative.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Ok, I agree with you. This is not the right topic. I'll shut up now :P.
And what I've learned in the past 3? days is that you are a top notch pilot.
Thanks for that :wink: but i don't concider myself to be that. Need some more practice for that :P
PH-1504, KOE

smithcorp

Post by smithcorp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 am

wickid wrote:Thanks for that :wink: but i don't concider myself to be that. Need some more practice for that :P
Tim might be being a bit sarcastic.... ;)

tomory

Post by tomory » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. I do really /only/ need to know how to fly Condor - I shall not be flying RL gliders again, too old (86) and too chicken!
Buit I still love the sport and Condor gives me some chance to still enjoy the practice of it, at least to some extent.
A lot of my RL experience was flying from the back seat of Ka7s and K13s as a B-Cat Instructor (because I couldn't afford a lot of solo flying), but I also flew Ka6s and for a time owned a share in a PZL Pirat. The "hottest" glider I ever flew personally was a PZL Cobra (a friend's) so I really am /not/ up to the levels of RL experience of many of you on this list.

Chock

Post by Chock » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 am

Nothing wrong with the K13 and all those older gliders. They're great fun to fly and sometimes you can outclimb the fancy glass fibre ships in those things. Plus, you get that nice effect when the sun shines through the covering and casts all the shadows of the framework in the cockpit, I always liked that, it made you think you were in a Sopwith Camel or something LOL.

And, as another plus, they don't 'explode' when they get struck by lightning, like glass fibre ships do LOL

Jono

Post by Jono » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 am

:lol: :lol:

I generally only fly glass gliders nowadays, but I do miss the days of flying he K13 and K18 and cranking them hard over into a thermal. You cant beat that feeling when you've got your shorts and t-shirt on in summer and the drafty cockpit cools you down! :D
J.Davidson
CN: R6

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 pm

wickid wrote:Trust me i fly it RL, and its my favorite plane :P . You can even thermal it at 80 km/h empty (It stalls at about 72 km/h.....
I'm talking 525kg all up weight. Did you fly it like that already ? What is the speed to fly in thermals at 45° bank ?

Love2Fly

Post by Love2Fly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:59 pm

smithcorp wrote:
wickid wrote:Thanks for that :wink: but i don't concider myself to be that. Need some more practice for that :P
Tim might be being a bit sarcastic.... ;)
LOL :D :D
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:03 pm

wickid wrote:Try to fly more smooth and you will see that you can fly very slow even with full water.
Don't make sudden imputs because the glider has inertia. It tends to pitch up directly after an imput of the control but it continue's along its original flight path for a few seconds before it flies into the new direction. This increases the angle of attack. Its realy easy to highspeed stall the standard class gliders in condor with full water. Be smooth with pitchcontrol

Thanks, now I will really start drivin' in Condor :twisted: :lol:

Edge

Post by Edge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Interesting stuff.

I thought my Joystick was on the way out yesterday as
the glider slowly rolled to the left. Then I realised I hadn't
centered the rudder pedals... :oops: :lol:
ImageImage

tomory

Thermalling in "Condor"

Post by tomory » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks to those who have already helped me improve my Condor flying - a lot! But I am still learning, not only the flying techniques, but also some of the basics of the sim itself.
For example, I have trouble trimming to ease stick pressures. It seems to take a h... of a lot of pounding on the DEL or INS key to make any difference - and even after I have done this, I am still not convinced it has really done anything. Am I treating this control wrong?
For centreing thermals, I have improved "some" but I mostly need those kindly pink bubbles showing me where the damn thing is, or I soon fall out of it and can't find it again! Yes, I don't circle smoothly enough - I know!!! But the Condor glider seems to be more twitchy on the controls than I remember my RL gliders being (admittedly, I flew almost entirely the older generation wooden gliders, and not especially "hot" ones).
I do better on ridge lift flights, which is where I had the majority of my RL flying.
BTW. My first-ever sight of gliders flying was at the British National champs of 1938 which were flown out of a small airfield right next to the school I was attending! I definitely recall seeing a Minimoa flying in that comp - easily recognisable wing planform! There was probably a Weihe there too, but that was not such a distinctive silhouette!

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

Back to basics. Once you hit thermal lift, pull up and then decide in which way to turn. If you're lucky, you will center on first try. If you're not and the lift fades away after few seconds, extend your circle after you did 270deg for a few seconds and bank it over again. Then do some finetuning - if the lift gets stronger, open the circle, if it gets weaker, tighten it up. This is very basic, but it seems to me that you have the basic thermalling technique problems.
And once you find lift under Cu, try to remember on which side od the Cu the lift was, relative to wind. Under most of next Cu's, you'll find the lift on the same place.

tomory

Centering thermals

Post by tomory » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks. I never had much trouble with RL thermals, but I haven't yet got used to Condor ones! I do find it rather harder to keep a good lookout all around and upwards (cf RL)
Is it true that in Condor, thermals are likely to be to the same side of the cloud as in RL? I was aware of the RL situation, but did not know whether it applied in Condor too.

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:40 pm

in condor: middle of the cloud is where I always look (unless it's above the ridge, the I search at the ridge)
Fly under the middle of a cloud, and if it is not there, fly directly into the wind.
That's my tactic, works quite well.
Think positive, flaps negative.