Condor badge idea ?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

asw22pilot

Post by asw22pilot » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:35 pm

I cant believe blazing saddles has never made it to eastern europe!!
http://www.darryl.com/badges/mov.php?mov=blazing.mov

You guys need to read up more on popular western culture!!

Enough of this merry banter its a wave day at Minden and I have a Ventus to play with...

Later....

Al

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:24 pm

@Simicro: Yes I may resize the graphics down, tho I don't want to lose too much detail. So I'll have to see how it goes when I get time.

@Mac: Nothing is stopping people designing their own :wink:, personally I'm into basic, simple designs. FYI: the original badges (blue/purple) are using FAI colours and for the graphicsI used the Condor from the logo as in the top left of the forum. I just rotated the birds as resized them down. It only took me 10 minutes to make all four.

@JJJ: I have transparent versions on my website to use in my sig. I may do some more modding once I'm happy with them I can send them out. Of course it might depend if there's going to be a system or not. In that case they would have to be earned like in RL :P. I'm sure many of us have already completed several goals for 1 or 2 of them :).
Rick Blythin

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:39 pm

Can you do a UK version? Blue background white gulls and a 'G' instead of the 'A'. Presumably RL holders can just use it if they like.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

swt

Post by swt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:40 am

I did not read all throughly, but regarding conditions in which "badge requirements" were fulfilled ... part of condor "enhanced" igc are also weather settings, so badge can be fulfilled even offline, based purely on igc. Set of "official badge weather conditions" have to be published though ...

So, weather can be set so that each flight will be difficult-enough to keep badges somehow "serious".

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:05 am

JJJ J,Jennen wrote:i did this

500km 1000km *350km*

alt record by me is 10500m with 40km/h wind

and a Unreal record is 450000m

What Medals are for me then? :)
450000m, this is 450km high, the Space Shuttle will not even fly this high, space technically begins at approx 205 km.

What medals, you could apply to NASA for your astronaut wings.

thermal

Post by thermal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:54 am

Yeh, nice project for JJ's summer holidays: to create a scenery of the moon.
I was trying to calculate how many hours/days it would take him to fly to the moon and back again, when I realized that he could fly as fast as he likes.

There is no air, so no flutter either! :lol:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

tatali0n

Post by tatali0n » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 pm

thermal wrote:There is no air, so no flutter either! :lol:
Nope. Just the small issue of burning up on re-entry back into the atmosphere at the end of the return leg . . . :wink:

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:00 pm

asw22pilot wrote:Badges.....

We don't need no stinking badges!!!!
nice one, Al!! :D

But I believe the original line was from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" that Mel brooks appropriated and misquoted

btw.. i think it was also spelled "Steeeenking"
"Wiki...we don't need any steenking Wiki!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mac

Post by mac » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 pm

kloudy wrote:
asw22pilot wrote:But I believe the original line was from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" that Mel brooks appropriated and misquoted
Wow... that's interesting discovering. FYI - however - also in Western Europe, that quote is not that known... at lest not in foreign languages!

For JJJ re-entry from outer space: http://www.x-plane.com/orbiter.html (indeed the Space Shuttle is a glider... but rather than been towed or whinched.... well you know! ;)

Rafael_14Bis

Post by Rafael_14Bis » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 am

Not that I will win any any soon, but I think military-like medals like the ones used in classic space combat simulation (so you can add one right next to each other in case of multiple, non-replaceable medals) would look better for online use than the round jacket-like patch.

Please take a look at the following links:

http://membres.lycos.fr/sosleader/roster.htm

We could create medals for instructiors (those taking the time to actually share online knowledge with beginners), safe pilots (those with more safe landings than crash) and so on...

Just my opinion.

Rafael

mac

Post by mac » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Rafael_14Bis wrote:We could create medals for instructiors (those taking the time to actually share online knowledge with beginners), safe pilots (those with more safe landings than crash) and so on...

Just my opinion.
It will be "just" your opinion but I like it! :)

If badges should also make recognisible committment beside flying skills, then we could also award badges to those who contribute to the development of Condor like for example:

* Core Developers (ok, two medals only but... ;)
* Scenaries Developers
* Competition organisers
* Plane Designers
* etc...

For flying skill badges, I would however stick to FAI criteria.

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:15 pm

In term of design I like the "logo-style" badge in Olympia's avatar. And let's concentrate on flying skill badges to start with.

With permission of Hitzi, I share here an abstract of the private conversation I had with him some time ago :
Simicro wrote:Fact : in Condor you cannot take license exam like in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Proposition :

1. On a website, user download task for silver, gold or diamond badge.

2. User flies the task

3. User submit flight track to website

4. Website checks if the file is valid just as "CondorFileValidator" does. If OK then the system check if the file meets requirements for the badge. If OK then name, CN, country and other data is displayed on website. User can sort the list.

5. User sees in his CondorStats signature the badges he earned, the date and other possible data.
Hitzi wrote:It's possible to create such scripts.

Maybe it's even simpler to integrate it with the condorstats program. It is possible to get the information of every point in the flight.

The problem is that there is only the position and height above MSL.

There is no way for me to get the height above the ground. That means I can't check for crashes or outlandings and can only check the height calclulated from the start airfield (for the height badges).

All the flightplan related things can be checked. I'm in contact with the condor team to see if I can use some condor files to get the height of a given coordinate. If that is possible I can check the whole flighttrack for nearly everything.
So the feasability seems ok but please note that Hitzi is busy with some development as of this writing.

Before you start this topic Rick, I decided to drop this badge idea because it would not be easy to design tasks (with right requirements ) the majority of the community agree with. But I can be wrong.

My ideas are very simple :

1) easy badge, average badge, hard badge, very hard badge etc. Ok you get the idea.

2) Requirements to get a badge in Condor are not necessarily the same as FAI.

3) Badge tasks should have a long life expectancy, say 8 to 12 months. Why ? To be able to compare skills. As a consequence the scenery should be stable (Slovenia, also for symbolic value). What about the weather change with patch 9 or Condor V2 ? I don't know...

4) We need a task setter plus a pool of tester (beginner-medium-experienced pilots)

5) If security to prevent cheating is say 98% reliable it is ok. The value of the badge is in the pilot's heart first.

I'm afraid I do not have enough time to manage such a project because I am involved already in several projects but of course we need rules and functional specifications to send to Hitzi before he starts programming, if of course he is willing.

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Mac,

For the idea to become semi official and organized there's a lot of planning and areas to figure out. The idea of having tasks and going through an automated verification script is a good one. I agree the system doesn't have to be based exactly on FAI but in my view it's a good one and it certainly does work to build and build up ones skills getting their bronze which isn't official then working through silver to 1000m diamond is very hard even in Condor as I've found out. Personally I use the random weather function, to help push my skills. Sometimes I get luckly and get easy weather other times I can nearly impossible conditions & I find it very hard to stay in control. I never know until I start the session what I'll get. I could take a peek of course but that takes the surprise out of it.

My badges don't even have to be used, people can design and submit their own, I just used mine for sample purposes. Like others I'm very busy with work and personal stuff at the moment. I'm not sure I could head up the project directly. I wouldn't mind being on the 'official panel' helping behind the scenes and giving input etc. If someone wants to start designing official badges, tasks, outlines of how the system should work they're more then welcome. I never thought this thread would get so active to be honest. Making my badges was just a spur of the moment idea as I laying in bed one night :lol:

Yesterday I finally managed to complete Silver duration, the other two goals I completed a while ago but the durations are the most testing for me. Although 750-1000k diamond distance will be extremely hard. I haven't completed any gold goals yet so that's my next plan. It'll probably take me a month or so to complete depending how much free time I get. On the plus side I feel my skills are steady improving which is the main thing, seeing my badges are just a nice perk after all the effort spent. I nearly didn't get 3 diamond, I almost crashed a couple times!. In the end I made it with a ton of luck. It probably didn't help I was flying with lack of sleep, I tend to fly Condor between 12:00-6:00 AM :P
Rick Blythin

dr.phees

Will be in the team.

Post by dr.phees » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:22 am

I would like to work in the organizing team.

how many would one need for this, except test fliers? and what skills?

I guess two or three to build the rules, one (of them) for the graphics, the programming stuff would be on hitzi again :(

in the long run: at least two, better up to four, to make tasks, answer mails/forum etc.

About the scenery:
We could try to stick to one scenery for badge tasks. We could "freeze" one scenery and put the download somewhere as i.e. "provence_badge". That way you would have provence and provence_badge on your PC.
I would tend to stick to one scenery for all the badge tasks.

I would like to work on more or less everything, up to graphics.
Who else would be interested?
-- www.phees.de --
reg: D-PHEES comp: DPH
Imagev1.9 Imagev1.9

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:50 pm

The scenery testing teams would be more than happy to test any sceneries that will involve badge flights.