Condor badge idea ?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

mac

Re: Will be in the team.

Post by mac » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:09 pm

dr.phees wrote:We could try to stick to one scenery for badge tasks. We could "freeze" one scenery and put the download somewhere
I think the main problem is not the scenary (indeed you can get FAI badges in different parts of the world), but the weather model.

For example: what about the horribly tilted thermals? Until now, to therm a therm in 50 knots wind it's more or less like to try catching a train with a lazo... if tomorrow this problem will be fixed, the same task in the same scenary will be pretty much easier (and more realistic). The same for superwaves, etc...

As the weather model will - hopefully - be ameliorated along years, coming closer and closer to reality, I wouldn't like to "freeze" the situation in a certain moment. I would rather porpose to have versions in badges. Each time the weather or aerodynamics model would be changed, a new version of the badges should be out.

You could - for example - have the "silver 1.8" already (taken with Condor version 1.8 ) and when version 1.9 will be out, a new badge would be available and you might try to get it. Newer badges should be regarded as more qualifying. Alternatively we might consider not to have "categories" but to remove old badges owners (after a transition period of several months) from the "official registry", if they don't achieve the requirements under new conditions.

This could sound like time consuming for the pilots interested in having "the latest badge", but on the other side, I don't think that weather model is going to be changed frequently. AFAIK, a revision was foreseen only for version 2.0, but the bugs introduced lately imposed to have it already in 1.9.

Concering availability in following up the project, I give mine essentially in terms of contribution to the debate in designing of the overall concept: I personally don't feel I have enough experience to "make the difference" in issues like task setting, pogramming, etc... Moreover I decided to try to supoprt PBY in developing a very small part of the Alsace scenary...

EDIT: I think - however - that the more the proposal is discussed publicly, the more we might get consensus around it, the more pilots will be interested in trying to get the badges... a bit like the choice of VT of discussing LLC score system, I believe. So - regardless of the formation of a "project team" - I would invite you to keep the debate public. :)
Last edited by mac on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simicro

Re: Will be in the team.

Post by Simicro » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:13 pm

mac wrote:
dr.phees wrote:We could try to stick to one scenery for badge tasks. We could "freeze" one scenery and put the download somewhere
I would rather porpose to have versions in badges. Each time the weather or aerodynamics model would be changed, a new version of the badges should be out
Yes it's smart.

dr.phees

Post by dr.phees » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Good idea with the versions.
But I wouldn't want to remove old, not renewed badges, just mark them deprecated when a new weather or aerodynamics model is up.
The pilot can decide then, to renew his badge, or just stick with the old one.
When he renews a badge, the old one will be "overwritten".
This way you would have only one version.
-- www.phees.de --
reg: D-PHEES comp: DPH
Imagev1.9 Imagev1.9

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Thierry BOD1 created a Condor badges and diplomas system !

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=4721

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:41 am

Simicro,

No offence intended.. but do you really have to keep posting that same message in every single thread semi related to badges ?. You even posted it in Trace's thread about his RL badge flight which had nothing to do with Condor which was a little odd. Posting it once or twice was ok, but I've seen you post the same thing at least 4+ times. It's getting a little excessive now, unless your just trying to rack up your post count. I think by now everyone knows about the system. You've certainly flooded enough threads with it. As a long time moderator for a Virtual Airline forum. It might be a good idea to stop posting it. You're beginning to sound like a broken record. After a while it ends up annoying people to read the exact same message over and over again. Plus you start to come across like a troll doing that sort of thing. Just some friendly advice anyway..
Rick Blythin

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:11 am

Mosguy,

You are completely right I was excessive indeed especially for Trace's thread (I misread).

Sorry.

The reason is that I like to advertise for good ideas/addons and promote the authors. I can remember doing that for Hitzi's serverlist for example. I believe it was a good remainder for new pilots.

For Condor bdges, it is true that I posted in several threads but only once in each. I also posted in those Condor badges threads because... they exists and that I participated in some of them before the advent of the BOD1's Condor badges

Of course I did not intend to post more in those threads.

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:05 pm

Simicro,

I understand why you did it, I know you were just trying to be helpful. The fact that there's already a sticky about the system will ensure that most people would eventually read it once they browse that section. With the sticky there wasn't much need to post the same thing alot other sections. To clear any misunderstanding : I wasn't claiming that you were a troll, that you were trying to rack up your count post, or I was get annoyed etc. I merely stated them because when you start posting the same message. That's how a lot of people can start to see you. Most often the person doing it doesn't realise how it comes across I was far from being annoyed. Being a long time moderator I can tolerate a ton of abuse on forums before it begins to annoy me :P. I just suggested it because there were enough posts already. I didn't want people to start thinking badly of you. You'd be surprised how many people do post the same thing or one liners just to increase their post numbers or to annoy people. It's a very common tactic by people on forums. I didn't mean to come across hard on you. I felt if it continued that people would start to get annoyed and wouldn't take you seriously anymore. Which is not a good thing to have happen!. I've seen it occur many times and been stuck keeping peace more often then I'd like to remember. I have been on staff at a virtual airline for 3 years, plus other various forums over the years. I've been on the net since the early days when it was text based only. So I've seen a lot of things on forums and newsgroups over the years.

You certainly don't see to be sorry, I know you were just being helpful but there are better ways of getting news out. It's been sticky'd in the official section so that's the best way. Being a long time moderator I've been conditioned to stay neutral and I see the overall view of threads and how innocent posting can come across annoying to others after a while. I just wanted to prevent it getting to that stage :). Thankfully the conduct on Condor has been tame compared to battles and flame wars I have to deal with on other forums. Being a Condor moderator would be a relaxing vacation in comparision. Which is a good thing, I wish more forums were like the Condor community :cool:
Rick Blythin

eagleone

Soaring Badges

Post by eagleone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 am

I think soaring badges and awards is a great idea! It works in RL soaring and there is no reason why it won't work in Condor.

Cheers, :)
May the lift always be with you.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Sorry in my skipping through this Topic I have missed someone elses words but:

Why don't we just set up a Badge Award multiplayer challenge with an Official Observer? The distance flights are easy, the height gains a little more tricky but we could have an Official Observer for each badge or part of badge who awards based on the IGC.

Just an idea.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Why don't we just set up a Badge Award multiplayer challenge with an Official Observer? The distance flights are easy, the height gains a little more tricky but we could have an Official Observer for each badge or part of badge who awards based on the IGC
Good idea! Let's say Official Observer is an automated program, like a web site where you send your flight track, and it manages badges and diplomas deliverance? We definitively must develop that!

:) :lol: :D
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.