Is Water Ballast All-Or-Nothing in Condor?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

benethridge

Is Water Ballast All-Or-Nothing in Condor?

Post by benethridge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am

Hi.

Can I dump little bits of water over time, or when I hit the "W" key, does Condor dump all the water ballast? I'm thinking it's the latter, since I can't find any documentation on my remaining water ballast level during flight.

I searched the manual but couldn't find the answer.

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Is Water Ballast All-Or-Nothing in Condor?

Post by OXO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:27 am

Little by little, as you wish.

if you go to F2 view, you can see the water draining when you open the valve and stopping when you close it.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Doggy

Post by Doggy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Never tested that but I assume there is a linear mathematical model simulating water dump. So If you take a simple measurement how long it takes to dump a full ballast, you can easily figure out for how long to keep the valve open to dump desired water amount/how much is left.

In reality (as always) it's more complicated as the water dumping speed goes down along with decreasing water level (pressure).

I'd be amazed if devs have had implemented such level of detail in either v1 or the v2 ;)

note: if not, please don't deffer the v2 release because of that! I'd have to be looking under my car for explosives every morning :)

xavierpitz

Post by xavierpitz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Doggy wrote:In reality (as always) it's more complicated as the water dumping speed goes down along with decreasing water level (pressure).
It may also be function of (outside of ballast) air pressure (altitude) and load factor (G's).
Gravity (which is a vertical component of load factor) is also itself function of altitude.
(the farther you go from earth core, the less gravity you experience).

Now go implement all of that in V2 before it's release :lol:
Doggy wrote:note: if not, please don't deffer the v2 release because of that! I'd have to be looking under my car for explosives every morning :)
I think I just upped the level and I'll have to check my house hourly for explosives now 8)

See you in V2, with or without water :D

Xavier

sadatoni

Post by sadatoni » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 pm

I found a document once that has what one guy came up with... now if I can find it...

"In Condor you dump 1kg of ballast per second." He doesn't mention anything about it changing how much it dumps/second.
N5503T CN(0OU)

John Ferguson

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 am

You know how many water you have at the beginning. If you need drop water, you must see time - after a one minute you will drop 60l of water.
when I am dropping water personally, I am doing it during a thermaling and when I see I am able turn thermal, I am stopping drop.

benethridge

Post by benethridge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks, all.

In straight-and-level flight, it took 3 minutes 10 seconds to dump all the water in the ASW27 and 3 minutes to dump all the water in the ASW28.