What Makes Condor so Good?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Slartibartfast

Re: What Makes Condor so Good?

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks janjansen, what you say is valid. By the way, I'm not completely discounting the possibility of getting V1, just explaining my situation. I dare say I will be jumping on the V2 wagon though the moment it lands ;)

And while it's true that €40 wont break the bank I'm also looking into DCS (with the HU-1 option) as well as considering X-Plane 11, all of which come in at a similar price point and to be honest their all well worth the asking price, it's just a matter of weighing up options :D

phercek

Post by phercek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm

If you want a simulator which simulates glider flying the best(*) then you need Condor. The rest is crap. Or at least it was crap few years ago when I was trying alternatives to Condor. Maybe they improved in the meantime.

(*) meaning: how much it corresponds to reality from the glider behaviour point of view and not graphics fidelity

gynuskeen

Post by gynuskeen » Sat May 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Dear friends,

as I've never been a real pilot, but I'm starting being interested in sailplanes and online soaring, I would like to receive some answers from the Condor community about the following doubt.
If I compare the default thermals in Condor with the default thermals in CumulusX-FSX, I've noticed that Condor's thermals are narrower and are much more turbulent than CumulusX's: even if I set "light" turbulence, circling in a thermal in Condor requires several adjustments of the rudder in order to exit initial spins, while in CumulusX such adjustments are not so frequently necessary in order to maintain a coordinated banked turn.
Thus my question is: which is the more realistical situation while thermalling in a real glider, does the pilot have to face several small spin entries or not?
Sincerely I watched several youtube videos of real gliding and I can't see a big pedal work of the pilots while thermalling, in order to keep their attitude, even when the pilots seem rather inexperienced.
So shall I keep Condor as it is because all those sink-and-rotations are realistical, or I need to change some settings, maybe the width of the thermals?

Thank you for the help that you can give me.

Regards
Gynus Keen

quher

Post by quher » Sat May 27, 2017 6:23 pm

gynuskeen wrote:Thus my question is: which is the more realistical situation while thermalling in a real glider, does the pilot have to face several small spin entries or not?
Sincerely I watched several youtube videos of real gliding and I can't see a big pedal work of the pilots while thermalling, in order to keep their attitude, even when the pilots seem rather inexperienced.
So shall I keep Condor as it is because all those sink-and-rotations are realistical, or I need to change some settings, maybe the width of the thermals
Hi gynus,

As I also tried gliding on FSX (with CumulusX) and as I am a real glider pilot, I can assure you Condor is the most realistic software you find on the market. Anyhow, there are quite a lot of differences between Condor thermalling and real life thermalling. I see you experience some small spin entries when thermalling? These are certainly not common if you carefully watch your speed. It also depends on the glider you're flying and the weight of water you carry. For example, If you fly and LS8 with full water ballast, you won't have any spin problems when you fly 110 km/h at least. So my advice, change your weather settings and use wide thermals and none turbulence to get the right feeling. Last but not least, watch your speed cause speed is life ;) Good luck!

Greets,
Quinten (REA)

tberry

Post by tberry » Sat May 27, 2017 9:29 pm

When you say 'spins' do you mean circles? You should not spin on entering a thermal.

I'll assume you mean circles. In real life, you are constantly using rudder to coordinate the turn. If your feet aren't moving, you aren't flying coordinated. It may not look like the pilot's feet move much in real life videos and experienced pilots can usually minimize rudder movements because they know when it needs to be applied and do so before it requires large movements.

Real life thermals are not as regular as Condor thermals. Sometimes they are more like bubbles of lift. weaker in spots than others, other times they are smooth and wide.

Here's a good way to practice thermalling in Condor: Use the 'T' key to turn on smoke. Bank into the thermal at 45 degrees, NOT LESS, not more. Concentrate on holding your airspeed to within 5kts as you circle. As you circle, the smoke will trail behind you. If it wobbles up and down, you are having trouble holding airspeed. ADJUST YOUR TRIM to keep you from having to hold back pressure when you thermal. Keep practicing (use rudder y\to keep yaw string straight) until you can circle at 45 degrees at a targeted airspeed. A few knots above the bottom of the green arc on the airspeed indicator.

Real life thermals can be more turbulent or less turbulent than Condor. Set the turbulence to none when practicing, use light or medium when you get more experience.

gynuskeen

Post by gynuskeen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Thank you guys,

I've much appreciated your replies. Controlling the airspeed has actually helped me improve the coordination of my turns while thermalling,

Kind regards
Gynus

Lars Hofman

Post by Lars Hofman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Condor is good enough to do fairly precise aerobatic training:

Condor:
https://youtu.be/eXCeQzrzqe4

Reality:
https://youtu.be/HHHPcuhmjkw

primitive_6

Post by primitive_6 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:08 pm

What makes condor so good?
1. The support
2. The regular updates

:mrgreen:

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 am

primitive_6 wrote:What makes condor so good?
1. The support
2. The regular updates

:evil:
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Pegazur

Post by Pegazur » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 am

1. The support
2. The regular updates

above all the frequents update! :lol:

primitive_6

Post by primitive_6 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:22 pm

OXO wrote:
1. The support
2. The regular updates

:evil:
I am so sorry :mrgreen: I have terrible taste of humor

The truth is that even today, condor is a really good simulator compared to the competitors (Silent wings, prepar3d, x plane) for glider simulation. And I am amazed that the community is still strong after so many years. It is also nice that sceneries are released frequently.

So what makes condor so good: The simplicity
Simple graphics, simple models and simple user interface

*ps. Sorry OXO but I still laughing with my previous post :mrgreen:

Lynn Jackson

Post by Lynn Jackson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:18 pm

tberry said: The rope length on Condor is shorter than we use at my club. If you can learn how to aerotow in Condor, then a real life tow becomes a cinch.

I am new to Condor. Can the rope length for aerotow be changed in Condor? Our club uses 200' versus what I understand is used in Europe, say, 100'.

Lynn

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

no, lenght of rope is not possilbe change at the Condor. But I do not think it is any problem..

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm

It's a small change and I have it on the list for Condor2
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team