Unusually poor glide ratio

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Polewka

Re: Unusually poor glide ratio

Post by Polewka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 am

Here are some topics from the past that could put some light on it:

- http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8796
- http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9568 (specific the text I quoted)

Always related to poor performance of the PC on client side or connection lag/ping.

I'm sure there are other topics where something like this was discussed, but couldn't find them anymore.

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

suppafly

Post by suppafly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Last edited by suppafly on Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Polewka wrote:Here are some topics from the past that could put some light on it:

- http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9568 (specific the text I quoted)

Always related to poor performance of the PC on client side or connection lag/ping.

I'm sure there are other topics where something like this was discussed, but couldn't find them anymore.

Cya
Exactly what I was thinking. I have noticed this too when playing on my laptop. On my desktop no problems.
PH-1504, KOE

arneh

Post by arneh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Polewka wrote:Here are some topics from the past that could put some light on it:

I didn't notice any poor frame ratio, and in the IGC file I have a low Mis Fix % of just 0.65%, which is lower than 8K (1.04%) and MX (1.41%). So I doubt poor PC performance is the problem.
another idea beside Airbrakes, gear or water could be the rudder.
just in case u got auto rudder...if u put the rudder a bit to one side for the start or somewhere else and forgot to put it in neutral position again.
This could also create more drag than usually specially in open class.
I guess it's possible. I'm not using auto rudder, and I did check the yaw string very carefully, and also tried to see if any of the pilots legs were more pressed than the other, but I could not notice any sign of rudder input.

Also it seems to have been a one time thing, in yesterday's task I was gliding as good as everyone else using the same computer and otherwise the same setup.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 am

Poor performing workstation..? I don't think so.
Miss Fix: 44
Mis Fix%: 0,5
No problem there.

I don't believe that internet connection has something to do with it.

When I started with flying Condor three years ago I had old rudder pedals with spiking potentiometers. That was a problem yes.
Now I use rudder pedals with HAL sensors and the rudder has an auto self centre calibrating mechanism that can be used while in flight. No problems in this area either...

I too had no problem last Thursday. No problem with poor glide performance that is...
I had big problems with West-Swiss. For some unknown reason I always encounter some unexpected problem in that scenery. :?
With unexpected problem I mean bad luck. That is one of the reasons it is not my favourite scenery. :evil:

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi Arneh!
The only possible cause to a lack of glide ratio in condor (apart from airbrakes or wheel out that would have a much more dramatic effect!) might be an unnoticed loss of water...
but if that was the case, the effect was not so evident, when I compare our flights:
we had the same glider and where flying very close, on the same server.
During the final glide, we have the same glide ratio,
but as I'm a little higher I'm slightly faster (about 2 km/h) with a more direct path.
Capture.JPG
01.JPG
02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

startrek99

Post by startrek99 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:43 pm

I have experienced something far worse In skybattle too. I joined and was towed high then I released and straight away i began descending as if i had the
airbrakes on . Nothing i did would fix the problem so i dissconected and rejoined. from that point on everything was ok. i was wondering perhaps whatever caused my problem could also cause yours but to a less extent . Seems like a programming fault. It may be worth testing glide ratio before racing.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:03 pm

startrek99 wrote:I have experienced something far worse In skybattle too. I joined and was towed high then I released and straight away i began descending as if i had the
airbrakes on . Nothing i did would fix the problem so i dissconected and rejoined. from that point on everything was ok. i was wondering perhaps whatever caused my problem could also cause yours but to a less extent . Seems like a programming fault. It may be worth testing glide ratio before racing.
If you had -5m/s that is the anti copying. It means someone else is using the same license key.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

phercek

Post by phercek » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm

OXO, you should consider advising producers to change the anti copying logic. It would be wise to actually tell users to buy the software instead of silently behaving like the software is buggy.

ejelaci

Post by ejelaci » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:35 am

It's an interesting topic. But never forget 2 things:

It is only a pc-game, and we can see that some player are able to manipulate the polar of his glider... ;)

startrek99

Post by startrek99 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:20 am

OXO wrote:
startrek99 wrote:I have experienced something far worse In skybattle too. I joined and was towed high then I released and straight away i began descending as if i had the
If you had -5m/s that is the anti copying. It means someone else is using the same license key.

ok, That seems logical it's probably because I installed Condor again on my own computer so I could run a server that would not interfere with my flying.
At the time the installation program did not warn me about installing it again and I assumed it must be checking my I.P. Address to see if it was me. Since then I have found a way to prevent Condor from interfering with my flying while I run a server. thanks for the reply.

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:54 pm

In May 2016 I bought a new pc. At first I enjoyed a very good framerate (about 200 fps) but then I noticed the same problem on final glide like Arneh and others on every flights I made. In other words, my new pc was not usable for Condor.
I knew that PIT has the same problem. We both used NVIDIA graphic cards. In Condor Support forum is a thread "Windows 10 problem" (http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... =2&t=17075) by chriss. Chriss solved his problem (freezing screen) by limiting the framerate. He used the NVidia Inspector. PIT and I do the same (I limited framerate to 81 fps) and our problems disappear. Maybe, this can help you too.

Btw I have modified ShowCondorIGC. Besides climbrate and mean gliding number it shows two additional parameters, Vmet and DeltaGN . These values are calculated by comparing the mGN with the gliding number from the speed polar of the plane, considering speed and ballast. Vmet represents the average of the rising (Vmet>0) or sinking air (Vmet<0), Delta GN is the additional gliding number caused by Vmet. You can use these values for evaluation of your final glide. You can download ShowCondorIGC_Vmet from the download section of 'virtualsoaring.eu' (many thanks to Erik 3P).

Fox9

arneh

Post by arneh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for the tip! I do have an nvidia card, so I will try to limit my frame rate and see if it helps.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 am

I have this on the list of tests for V2.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:16 pm

OXO wrote:I have this on the list of tests for V2.
Alpha or Beta tests?