mac installation

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

derita4

mac installation

Post by derita4 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 pm

I bought a copy of condor on the basis it is supposed to run on the mac with boot camp.

Any one successfully used condor on a mac and any advice for installation please

Derrick

Olympia

Re: mac installation

Post by Olympia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 am

Yes, it works a treat on my MacMini under Bootcamp. It actually runs faster than it did on my old PC but that may be a processor issue rather than the different OS. I have been using Mac for three years now and I would never think of going back to PC's. Some on here dispute the wisdom of spending a lot more than you need to on a computer, but I beg to differ.

Bootcamp makes your Mac think it is a PC and you load applications just as usual for a PC.

Maybe I ought to add that My Microsoft software is XP. I can't say if any of the later versions accept Condor. XP is the only Microsoft OS that I have any confidence in.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

P. Riessner

Post by P. Riessner » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am

When you also need your Mac for work and there are a lot of programs, who only run on a windows pc, the best solution for getting windows-based programs on your Mac-for example Condor- is "Parallels Desktop 10"!
But you must know that it costs a little bit :?
Because with this program, you have windows and os both on your Mac and you can run windows and install windows programs exactly how you did on your windows pc :)
Greetings
PCR
Condor-Club:
Reg: PCR
D-2859
Name: P. Riessner

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 am

Olympia wrote:Yes, it works a treat on my MacMini under Bootcamp. It actually runs faster than it did on my old PC but that may be a processor issue rather than the different OS. I have been using Mac for three years now and I would never think of going back to PC's. Some on here dispute the wisdom of spending a lot more than you need to on a computer, but I beg to differ.

Bootcamp makes your Mac think it is a PC and you load applications just as usual for a PC.

Maybe I ought to add that My Microsoft software is XP. I can't say if any of the later versions accept Condor. XP is the only Microsoft OS that I have any confidence in.
Windows 7 is better than XP, more performance. But I don't know how good it is on a mac.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

losnively

Post by losnively » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:06 pm

I've been running Condor on a Mac with Bootcamp for about 6 years now; as for Olympia, it's always worked well. Then again, I've also only used XP as the Windows OS. I'm told that newer versions of the Mac OS (I have 10.7.5) require newer versions of Windows to run in Bootcamp, so that may present some challenges.

However, unlike P. Riessner, I've never been able to get Condor to run well enough under Parallels - the graphics performance was too poor in the versions of Parallels I tried - up to 8, I think. I get frame rates in the 1 or 2 per second range, at best, and the terrain has never shaded correctly. That said, it's been about 3 years since I last tried using Parallels, and it was on older, slower hardware. So, the newer versions of Parallels on newer Mac hardware might allow it to work. (My 7 or 8 year old Mac hardware is getting a little long in tooth.) I agree with Riessner that if you can get it to work that way, it would be nice since you could then have Condor running without shutting down the Mac OS side; just set autopilot during a long glide while going back over to the Mac apps and getting some work done! (Just kidding…)

By the way, an advantage to using a newer Windows OS under Bootcamp is that you can have a larger Windows partition. As I understand it, In XP you can only have a 32 GB partition and with the newer Condor sceneries that gets used up fast. I have to store sceneries in my Mac partition and then move them over to the Windows partition when I need them. It's not a huge deal, but it does take some time and requires planning ahead. (Moving files between the Mac OS and Windows OS can be relatively simple with Bootcamp, from the Mac side.)

There's nothing particularly difficult in setting things up. Follow the Apple directions for setting up a Bootcamp partition with a Windows OS, then follow the Condor Soaring directions for installing Condor in that partition. That took me awhile since I didn't know anything about XP when I started and finding my way around was a bear. But, once done, Condor goes in easily and works great.

Good luck, and enjoy your flying.

Regards, Les Snively

P. Riessner

Post by P. Riessner » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:56 am

At a 2013 MacBook Pro and the new 5K Mac with Parallels 10 runs Condor...
Condor-Club:
Reg: PCR
D-2859
Name: P. Riessner

losnively

Post by losnively » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey, that's great to hear. Next time I upgrade hardware and software, I'll give it a try.

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:42 pm

I guess it's too much to hope for that our developers might rewrite the software to suit OSX, as we approach the tenth year of waiting for V.2 Nearly every other decent app now comes in both flavours. Mac isn't going to go away, and if Redmond make any more blunders I can Mac see overtaking the world of PC's. I know there will be howls of abuse from the usual suspects for saying this, but I think this is the way it is going. I'm sure that Condor would run even better on Mac. When did you last hear of anyone switching back to a PC once he/she had a Mac?
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)

phercek

Post by phercek » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 am

MAC overtaking PC will not happen any time soon if it ever happens at all. There are more options in PC, they are a litle bit cheaper and currently have 91% desktop market share compared to MAC's 7%.
I think we will be happy if we get a new PC version.
But if we are making wishes for support of new OS then I would like to see a linux version. Though I do not see it ever happening with its market share of about 1% :D

Flightbase

Post by Flightbase » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

I got Condor on my MBP (late 2011) - and it runs fine using bootcamp. I would not recomment using paralells or similar software. You just lose too much performance. Just give some 20 gigs and use bootcamp.

For Condor V2 I guess it will be OpenGl - since devs had enough time to study trends ;)
The first time you'll get a Microsoft product, that doesn't suck, will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:25 am

Flightbase wrote:.....

For Condor V2 I guess it will be OpenGl - since devs had enough time to study trends ;)
I very much doubt it. Our devs are so keen to keep the magic of their software to themselves that they won't allow people who design new gliders to add the flight dynamics and let the rest of us enjoy their work. Dream on.

OGOM
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:29 am

phercek wrote:MAC overtaking PC will not happen any time soon if it ever happens at all. There are more options in PC, :D
And what options are those pray? I have not found a single thing that I could do on a PC that is not better done on a Mac.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)

Flightbase

Post by Flightbase » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 am

Olympia wrote:
phercek wrote:MAC overtaking PC will not happen any time soon if it ever happens at all. There are more options in PC, :D
And what options are those pray? I have not found a single thing that I could do on a PC that is not better done on a Mac.
Gaming. It´s a big industry - and by far the biggest reason, why current computers are SO fast. Valve works hard on OSX and GNU/LInux gaming, but this will take ages and may(!) never be successful. The biggest supporter of *nix gaming is microsoft, screwing directx, making game developers angry.
If you leave directx behind, you can go with very little efford to mobile plattforms, multi-os.

We`ll see.
The first time you'll get a Microsoft product, that doesn't suck, will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Flightbase wrote:
Olympia wrote:
Gaming. It´s a big industry - and by far the biggest reason, why current computers are SO fast. Valve works hard on OSX and GNU/LInux gaming, but this will take ages and may(!) never be successful. The biggest supporter of *nix gaming is microsoft, screwing directx, making game developers angry.
If you leave directx behind, you can go with very little efford to mobile plattforms, multi-os.

We`ll see.
I wish I understood any of that.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)

phercek

Post by phercek » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Olympia wrote:
phercek wrote:MAC overtaking PC will not happen any time soon if it ever happens at all. There are more options in PC,
Oh there are many. Both from hardware point of view and software too. There is more selection when looking for a new hardware and when trying to upgrade some older hardware. AFAIK, especially hardware upgrade is significantly cheaper to do in a generic PC. Some people and companies may value bigger selection options in the hardware area.

And then there is the software of course. This is a big one. There are too many applications running on Windows and not on MAC/OSX. Of course you can get the most common stuff like browsers, media and office applications for mac easily. So for simple home users mac will do ok. But things get much more complicated when you need some more special stuff like Solidworks or software packages tied to custom hardware (e.g. full Atmel Studio for system on chip development is available only for Windows, on Linux/OSX you have only a command line avr-gcc). Also many of these specialized packages have an OSX version, it is often treated as a second class citizen (e.g. a well know CadSoft EAGLE for PCB design is available for Windows/Linux/OSX but the OSX version is behind the Windows one). Even in the open source area, MAC versions (if they exist at all) are behind the Windows and often even Linux offerings (e.g. KICAD has Windows/Linux/BSD versions but MAC version is only experimental).

And then of course there are games as Flightbase pointed out. And really, you should understand pretty well that games have much better coverage on Windows than OSX. You yourself play a game (Condor Soaring) which has a Windows version but no OSX version. And the problem with games is that many simple home users care about them too. It is not like the speciality software I mentioned (Solidworks, EAGLE, ...) which hardly anybody uses.

Otherwise I like how you promote the platform of your choice. The more operating system diversity we get the better. But the fact that you have not found a single thing you miss on MAC/OSX does not mean there are none. At the end, you actually miss Condor Soaring on OSX. I hope Windows dominance will decline but I'm not going to hold my breath.