Some General Rules For Flying

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

KarlKoch

Post by KarlKoch » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:11 am

this rule is important for landings and flights in low altitude, because the lower plane (especially when its a sailplane) cannot regain height. So the lower plane has the right of way to the runway, while the higher one has to do a longer final glide. These situations occur in proximity of an airfield, where defined patterns have to be flown, and then you can see other planes. Or the lower pilot informs you about him via radio.

Don't misunderstand it as a rule in thermals, there you have (in most cases) only slight differences in rate of climb and therefore you just don't need to overtake someone. Otherwise, both planes have to pay attention for the other glider and ideally take positions where they can see each other.

While flying straight, every pilot avoids situations with other gliders above (or below) himself. You can't predict the behaviour of the other pilot and therefore, you fly around the other plane. Even if not on the same altitude.
I do NOT care who is your daddy. As long as i am fishing here, you don't walk over the water

griffo

Post by griffo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:31 pm

Another one, not for glider to glider relations, is about tow release.
Glider should turn right after release, Tow plane should turn left and descend.
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that in Condor. There are some rebel tow pilots out there that need to be watched!!!! :D
Graham
Reg:ZK-GKB
Racing:GA

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:40 am

griffo wrote:Another one, not for glider to glider relations, is about tow release.
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that in Condor. There are some rebel tow pilots out there that need to be watched!!!! :D
Actually this procedure varies from country to country, In north america its glider-right; tug-left. Some countries it's the opposite, others still have the option of either direction (obvously letting the tug know which way helps!). In sailors of the sky which I also own you set the direction the tug turns to after release. Hopefully Condor might add the same feature in future, its very useful!.
Rick Blythin

tom-roger

Post by tom-roger » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:08 am

MosGuy wrote:
griffo wrote:Another one, not for glider to glider relations, is about tow release.
Actually this procedure varies from country to country, In north america its glider-right; tug-left. Some countries it's the opposite.....
Yes, in Norway we turn left.....
Regards
---------------------------
Tom-Roger

griffo

Post by griffo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Wow, international competitions must be a nightmare for towpilots and glider pilots!!! You'd think after all these years things would be standardised.
Graham

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:19 pm

a smart towpilot would start circling in a thermal,
so that when the glider releases, he can stay in the same position.
Then the towpilot is always sure about the way the glider goes...
But not every competition allows this kind of tows.
It's also more economic...
Think positive, flaps negative.

griffo

Post by griffo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:36 pm

I have been towed in a thermal. We went round 3 or 4 times before I started to feel ill. You want to try following the towplane in a turbulent thermal with a high bank angle :shock: it not pretty!!!
Graham

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:24 pm

I do think that's pretty!
I've always enjoyed it.
My first solo-tow the towpilot didn't knew it was my first time,
so he made nice 45 degrees bank in a strong thermal!
Lovely, but it's better for my wallet to release as soon as I hit a thermal.
Think positive, flaps negative.

griffo

Post by griffo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm

The tow pilot I hate is the one who doesn't feel you release (K-6 and PW5 are good for this), and continues off into the distance until he looks into the mirror!!! A quick call on the radio soon wakes them up :D
Graham

griffo

Post by griffo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm

The tow pilot I hate is the one who doesn't feel you release (K-6 and PW5 are good for this), and continues off into the distance until he looks into the mirror!!! A quick call on the radio soon wakes them up :D
Graham

GRWP

Post by GRWP » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:41 pm

Jone,
This is a rule which mainly applied when in circuit. As obviously the "lower" glider IS landing soon, where-as the higher glider has a bit more spare height to give way.
This rule is ignored if a glider is in distress or where a performance difference is apparent.

eg. A Bocian at 500ft in circuit with a Duo Discus at 400ft in circuit..... The Bocian IS landing, but the Duo could probably do another circuit...... he he he
George Paterson

Jone

Post by Jone » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:08 am

Yep, I got it :)

I was solely thinking about thermalling and wonderred why shouldn't the lower plane watch higher one "more" cause he/she will actually see the upper one better.

But yes, this should be perfectly clear that in circuit the plane with lower altitude WILL be landing first...

:) :oops: :) safe&happy flying

-Jone-

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:31 pm

MosGuy wrote:Yup these are pretty much international flight rules in most countries. Just to add a few more:

4) Higher performance glider should alter it's circle and give way to lower performance machines in thermals
If I may add another guideline that will help...

7) Higher performance pilots should alter their speed and let me win. :wink:

I think that should help :roll:

EA

Post by EA » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:33 pm

griffo wrote:I have been towed in a thermal. We went round 3 or 4 times before I started to feel ill. You want to try following the towplane in a turbulent thermal with a high bank angle :shock: it not pretty!!!
What I do in real life is quite simple... If the tug plane enters a thermal, and if I'm safe (high enough to land safely home if I miss the thermal), I release.

Example : 200m AGL, the Pawnee 235 banks right. Vario seems good. Release.

Advantages : you're free earlier (I prefer free flight than tow), and it cheaper for your club.

peppers_machine

Rules of Flying

Post by peppers_machine » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Here's a link to the UK current rules as issued by the British Gliding Association.
http://www.gliding.co.uk/forms/lawsandrules.pdf
TonyL

Reg: G-DCYG
Comp No: TL3