Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:43 pm

Or wrong :lol:

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:37 pm

But wrong isn't right :?: :!:

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:21 am

I have never flown in Europe; what is the reason for the left turns only within 5nm of the airport?

What do the "left turners" do when they fly partially through lift and the right wing goes up? Do a 270 turn before back into lift???

Like Tim says - handicapped!

Just to be clear, if you see me out there someday I'd rather you pissed me RIGHT off than LEFT off :)

Hotel Niner

habo

Post by habo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:08 am

I have never ever heard of that and I flew more than 10 years in Europe.

habo

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:12 am

habo wrote:I have never ever heard of that and I flew more than 10 years in Europe.

habo
+1

Joost v Veelen

Post by Joost v Veelen » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:47 am

Had it again yesterday. Found a nice thermal on the way home. Got there first. I was so kind to let other people know what the strenght was but suddenly, this guy Y8 (J Biere) starts circling the oposite way on the same alt!!! (These things really pisses me off, so i've said some things i shouldn't say. Therefore, i appologize.)

Although q was working, i still think it's gonna take some time to re-center the thermal when you get a mid-air. So think about it the next time you're trying to ruin somebody's thermal/flight!! :(

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:17 pm

Joost v Veelen wrote: ...said some things ...
Yeh, I heard that... :shock:
But you are absolutely right, and in the past, the one who caused such a mid-air used to say: sorry!
Didn't see or hear that either.
Good to see that your Q worked and you made it to the finish.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

WhiskeyDelta

Post by WhiskeyDelta » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:12 pm

The reason to turn all left in a thermal when near the startline or a turn-point is due the buzy airspace. When furthur in the task, you only see 2 or 3 planes near you, not 20 like near the startline. So, to avoid misunderstandings, they made this rule to thermal al left turn. The chance to turn in the opposite direction is minimal!

UWE

Left

Post by UWE » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:56 am

Only Leftturns before crossing the startline is a safety-recommendation in a few german competitions... When you wait for start in weak, blue thermals with 90 other Planes it is not really bad :wink:

helipete

Post by helipete » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:46 pm

7) Higher performance pilots should alter their speed and let me win. :wink:

:P
roger that!

Wiley

Re: Some General Rules For Flying

Post by Wiley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:07 am

I've just reviewed the rules of the road here. Could someone make a locked sticky at the beginning of multiplayer of the most important 5 or so for new competitors?

Such as:

1. Before the start and in the general start area thermal to the left.
2. On course, the first one to a thermal determines the direction. All others maintain the same direction untill the thermal is clear.
3. On a ridge, the one with the ridge on his right has right of way.
4. Higher/faster keep clear of lower/slower.

OGREMAN

Re: About Turning bias... LEFT vs RIGHT

Post by OGREMAN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:58 pm

kristoffer wrote:
Icarus wrote:I notice even some "good" European pilots can only thermal to the left. I flew a SB task two days ago with another guy (no names) who consistently finishes top 20.

Even when I was in a thermal first, turning right, he would enter just below me turning the opposite direction....pissed me right off! That tells me he cannot fly to the right.

Most of us have our preferences for sure, but you need to be able to turn both ways and climb well.

Hotel Niner
There are several pertinant clues that might well explain a turning bias,
1st... In RL the pilot will sit on the LEFT side of the cockpit in multi seat (powered) craft because the normal airfield approach pattern is a left circuit affording the pilot a view of the airfield throughout his approach pattern.

2nd... It is well known that centre stick stearing will encourage LEFT TURNING by mostly right handed pilots because it requires a greater muscular effort to move the stick to the right (most ppl are less strong for right pushing).

3rd... Virtual pilots most commonly use a "twist stick" to effect rudder inputs, in a Right handed pilot the wrist muscles are much weaker to twist to the outside ie RIGHT, this makes the co-ordination of rudder to Right Turns more difficult.

So ... the cumulative effects of HABIT ... HUMAN Physique and Historical protocol win out.
Useless extra remark .... I am an ex Hang Glider Pilot with more that 1500hr of log air time, in the HangGliding community the turning bias was to the Right, after many pub fueled heated debates about this a fellow pilot and physiotherapist laid the issue to rest by sighting that "more than 70% of people (80% in males) are right handed, roll input on a hang glider requires that you move your entire body to the side, so the easiest direction to move your body using arms in a prone (face down) or press up position is to the right... resulting in a right hand turning bias for hang glider pilots and left bias for sailplanes".

In the end a bias is not justification for making a dangerous choice of turn direction, safe practice demands that you must be willing to go both ways.

This is a bit interresting I think, but I (I think many other`s to) can "only" turn in one direction .. . Of somehow reason I always have the nices and most comfy turns to the left . . . Turning right feels almost a bit weird :?
i have never understood why but thats the fact ! I can of course turn right but when it comes to circling many times around am best to the left. .. . ..(for me) I also have heard others have experienced the same somethimes . . . .

Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:55 pm

The main reason for turning left near the field is that that's where the new pilots hang out. No need to confuse them more than necessary :).

Tom73

Post by Tom73 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Hehehe Bra där Mats ;)