Video: "how to thermal", featuring Condor

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

eric.carden

Video: "how to thermal", featuring Condor

Post by eric.carden » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 am

In case anyone's interested, below is the link to a "how to thermal" video I made using Condor (and LK8000 Tactical Flight computer, http://www.lk8000.it). The point of the video is to teach real-world pilots how to thermal real gliders, and Condor just made it much easier to put together such a video. And, of course, the method I teach works as well in Condor as in real life. :-)

http://youtu.be/d5WoZTN0kvE

Eric

TiGuy82

Re: Video: "how to thermal", featuring Condor

Post by TiGuy82 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 am

Thank you for sharing the video! ;)

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi, this is my first post, and first video I've watched on this forum.

So I'd just like to say, thanks for posting this, it's a good start for me to get my learning process going.

I haven't purchased Condor yet (using FSX right now), but I'm seriously considering a purchase after some research. Especially research into how much money I'm going to have to spend for it to be comparable to what I have in FSX. Videos like this one really help in the decision making, so thanks again :)
Tony (G-XTC6) TC6

Intel core i7-2600 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 Ram, GTX580 SC DS 1536MB Graphics, Corsair AX 850, Windows 7 Premium 64bit, TrackIR 5, Saitek X52Pro, CH Rudder Pedals. 24" LED + LCD monitors.

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Tiger,

Condor is a whole world with all of its online competitions. I think I tried one FSX glider plugin which wasn't bad but Condor is undoubtably the best with numerous real world glider pilots and competitors using it for both enjoyment and training.

Are you a real world pilot? Do you have a particular interest in soaring?

The only drawback about Condor is that many of us are frustrated that any kind of updates are so few and far between. The lack of communication from the developer is also frustrating. We are still waiting for a version 2 to come out and there is absolutely no official word on progress, ETA or otherwise.

On the other hand, the developer truly produced an ingenious, sophisticated, top class software application and this makes me much less upset about the absence of updates. In some ways you could even say it's refreshing.

Anyway, if you have a love for soaring and flight simulation, I would encourage you to take the plunge. If you already have been using FSX, you probably already have a good joystick and maybe rudder pedals as well, so unless you want to have an external flight computer running SeeYou Mobile (expensive!), or XCSoar (free!), you shouldn't have to spend much if any additional money.

Please feel free to ask questions!

Kor

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi Kor,

I look at a lack of updates as a good thing. It means that there probably isn't anything to fix. I'd be more worried if you get a new update every week. Because that would mean bad code and constant fixing :)

Hardware wise I'm pretty sorted, X52 Pro, rudder pedals, switch panels, trim wheel, trackIR etc. Computer is an i7, 3.40Ghz, 16gig Ram, Geforce 580 Superclocked with 1.5gig memory. So I won't to spend any money there. My exposes are going to come from buying addon planes, and scenery. I really like the look of the Alpi 3 scenery, and others from the same company.

The thing is I've spent thousands of pounds on FSX, what with the hardware and scenery etc. If I'm doing something on the sim that I will never do in real life, then the scenery is the thing that keeps me interested. My passion is Helicopters, I just love flying them. But recently I've also become interested in soaring. It's peaceful, no engine noises, just wind. And of course, it's a new skill to learn. I've currently got FSX set up pretty well for soaring, but a lot of people have said that FSX is nowhere near as good for soaring as Condor is. Ideally, I'd like to be soaring in my own country, hence All the money spent on FSX, but I do like the idea of mountain soaring too. So maybe all I'll need is Alpi 3 anyway :)
Tony (G-XTC6) TC6

Intel core i7-2600 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 Ram, GTX580 SC DS 1536MB Graphics, Corsair AX 850, Windows 7 Premium 64bit, TrackIR 5, Saitek X52Pro, CH Rudder Pedals. 24" LED + LCD monitors.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Condor CN = E20

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Tigerclaw wrote:Hi Kor,

I look at a lack of updates as a good thing. It means that there probably isn't anything to fix. I'd be more worried if you get a new update every week. Because that would mean bad code and constant fixing :)

Hardware wise I'm pretty sorted, X52 Pro, rudder pedals, switch panels, trim wheel, trackIR etc. Computer is an i7, 3.40Ghz, 16gig Ram, Geforce 580 Superclocked with 1.5gig memory. So I won't to spend any money there. My exposes are going to come from buying addon planes, and scenery. I really like the look of the Alpi 3 scenery, and others from the same company.

The thing is I've spent thousands of pounds on FSX, what with the hardware and scenery etc. If I'm doing something on the sim that I will never do in real life, then the scenery is the thing that keeps me interested. My passion is Helicopters, I just love flying them. But recently I've also become interested in soaring. It's peaceful, no engine noises, just wind. And of course, it's a new skill to learn. I've currently got FSX set up pretty well for soaring, but a lot of people have said that FSX is nowhere near as good for soaring as Condor is. Ideally, I'd like to be soaring in my own country, hence All the money spent on FSX, but I do like the idea of mountain soaring too. So maybe all I'll need is Alpi 3 anyway :)
It's true that there have been few problems. I was once plagued by a problem where my screen would freeze up in the middle of flying a task. This was very frustrating, needless to say. Other people reported the same problem and I think it was eventually narrowed down to a problem with an Nvidia driver. Eventually the developer created a patch that fixed the problem.

The Alps XL scenery that is mentioned by another forum user is on Page 5 of the scenery downloads on the Condor Club site. This site needs a search window to make it easier to locate scenery on the site since there are now so many sceneries to choose from. And speaking of scenery, it's great if you want to support scenery like alpi 3 that has a charge. On the other hand there are probably over 100 other sceneries available for free with voluntary donations welcome. Some of them are excellent and HD to boot. So there is certainly no reason to pay for anything immediately. The older Alpi scenery is now free and that is the only one I've tried so can't speak for the newer version 3. If you are interested in online competition (and that's what Condor is all about!), the vast majority of races use scenery which is free.

You WILL need to purchase the plane packs if you want to compete. Fortunately the price is very reasonable.

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for the link Andy. Checked out some youtube vids, and that does indeed look awesome. I think my internet is gonna get a bashing this weekend :D

Thanks Kor, I found the scenery on the club site no problem. I did intend to buy the plane packs anyway if I got Condor. And to be honest it's looking more likely by the minute.
Competition????? Give us a chance, I'm nowhere near ready for that yet :D I doubt I'll be doing anything like that this year at least. I was hoping for a bit of on-line multiplayer soaring though. You know, the old watch and learn technique. Better than reading loads of literature.
Tony (G-XTC6) TC6

phercek

Post by phercek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:09 am

Tigerclaw wrote: Hardware wise I'm pretty sorted, X52 Pro, rudder pedals, switch panels, trim wheel, trackIR etc. Computer is an i7, 3.40Ghz, 16gig Ram, Geforce 580 Superclocked with 1.5gig memory. So I won't to spend any money there.
Looks like your HW may support multi monitor configurations or big resolutions like 2560x1600. That is nice but Condor will support at most 2048x2048 because it is only a DX7 game. Lack of updates is not always a good thing :)

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi and welcome Tigerclaw. You should definitely get Condor and you should definitely get online as soon as you have a feel for the basics. There is a big friendly community and lots of online flights from freeflight servers (just do what you want), Leo's excellent set task but no race missions, one off races and big multi-race comps with hundreds competing. The main thing about online flying in Condor is that even the races are mostly about the fun and the company rather than winning, and you will find plenty of people willing to help and let you follow them around.

Believe me you will learn faster if you get online and fly with others.

Dennis Bork

Post by Dennis Bork » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Tigerclaw wrote:Especially research into how much money I'm going to have to spend for it to be comparable to what I have in FSX.
It's the other way around. No matter how much money you put into FSX, you'll never have something close to Condor anyways :mrgreen: I'm a real world pilot, flying Condor since I did not have the time to jump into a sailplane since a couple of years (and won't have until next year); and Condor comes as close to the real thing as I've seen so far. Sure, if thermaling would be always that easy as it is with Condor (not saying that it's always easy), we'd be all competing better. But still, especially the aerodynamic and meteorological modeling is a masterpiece in Condor. So, don't hesitate and buy it :D
Dennis Bork (DBX)

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Heres a video I made during an online race in Scotland, the quality is a bit crap but it was made before Youtube allowed decent resolutions & file sizes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAVMHdk3wA
A bit more recent & at 720p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKRhTv8HLE

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Loved the second one. I've already watched that one 5 times, and that viewing makes number 6 LOL.

Well, you'll all be sorry to hear that I bought Condor today, and the 2 plane packs. So I'll be making a new thread later tonight. You're all gonna wish you never talked me into it LMAO.
Tony (G-XTC6) TC6

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:53 pm

I thought your weren't interested in competition. The only way we're going to be sorry is if you beat us all in competitions!

But seriously, good move! I hope you're going to love it!

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Freebird wrote:Heres a video I made during an online race in Scotland, the quality is a bit crap but it was made before Youtube allowed decent resolutions & file sizes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAVMHdk3wA
A bit more recent & at 720p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKRhTv8HLE
That's a really nice video! The only thing that would make it better in my opinion, is using Alan Mattano's higher resolution clouds.
ImageImage