Waves in Condor...

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jcomm

Waves in Condor...

Post by jcomm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Sorry for posting the topic, but I searched accross the forum and although there ae a LOT of topics mentioning wave I really couldn't find out the answer to the following question:

- Does the Condor wave model include successive wave updrafts, usually parallel, downwind, or just one?

I did read on a few posts that for a given wave region based on some moutain and satbility / wind conditions, will there be a single wave updraft region, or will there be successive regions? If there are many, does the number vary with wind intensity, inversion layer, mountain/terrain characteristics?
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

wickid

Re: Waves in Condor...

Post by wickid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 pm

No, unfortunately not. Just one wave after each mountain if the wind conditions are right.
PH-1504, KOE

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok,

and thx for the prompt reply wickid!

;-)
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

No problem :lol: . I found out that condor generates wave quite often. Even with thermals below the inversion altitude. It's fun to climb over the inversion on ridge lift and then soar over the cumulus in the wave.
PH-1504, KOE

Nyal

Post by Nyal » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 am

wickid wrote:No problem :lol: . I found out that condor generates wave quite often. Even with thermals below the inversion altitude. It's fun to climb over the inversion on ridge lift and then soar over the cumulus in the wave.

Any comments on how to search for wave in Condor? Definitely do NOT want a comment "go to this site" in this approved diamond altitude attempt "and fly at this ridge at this time on the clock."

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Quite easy actually. Find a nice high ridge with the wind blowing perpendicular to it. You'll need about 30 km/h for a decent wave. Climb well above the ridge using ridge lift and then fly downwind. After a couple of kilometers your vario will start to rise slowly. When the climbrate peaks turn 90 degree's and start flying a figure 8 pattern with turns into the wind.

The best chance for wave is with a low inversion height. But i found it forms quite often, but usually it's not very strong when the task is not set up especially for wave lift.
PH-1504, KOE

mattm

Post by mattm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Also to answer the original question: secondary peaks in a wave system set up when the wind strength
increases with height. Condor doesn't model this; about the only variation you see in wind strength is that
the wind speed may drop when close to the ground.