Using iGlide with Condor

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

RodNoc123

Using iGlide with Condor

Post by RodNoc123 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi everybody

Just bought Condor & will try to set up my system within the next couple of days.

For real flying I use the iGlide Moving Map and I'd love to be able to connect it to Condor.

The iGlide developers have apparently tried to contact the Condor guys to discuss the necessary small extension but haven't heard back from them.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Thanks!

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Using iGlide with Condor

Post by OXO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:39 am

I'm in contact with them. Nothing more to report right now.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by flying.islander » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Is the iGlide app only available in European markets? I can't find it on iTunes here in the USA. I try clicking on links to the app in iTunes, but instead get re-directed to apps like "glideslope" instead.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

Love2Fly

Post by Love2Fly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:26 pm

iGlide is only available with the following maps:

- Germany
- France
- Namibia
- Swiss
- Poland
- Austria
- the Netherlands
- Belgium
- Luxemburg
- Italy
- Australia
- Denmark
- UK

Therefore, it makes sense when it's not available in the US app store.
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Butterfly said 5 minutes ago:
We have a whole new version (2.0) to be released Spring 2012. This one will be a world-version, also for the US market.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

flyingtux

Post by flyingtux » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Oxo,

But what about the compatibilty between Condor and IGlide 2.0
There is a Simulator Mode in iGlide2 with a wifi interface option. What about this feature? Is it compatible with the last release of condor?

Regards,

JP

PS : It will be great to have a pdf in english of this software, my german's skills are too old now, lol

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

I havent tried it, but butterfly tell me it works fine. You should talk to them about it.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

jfsoaring

Post by jfsoaring » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:14 am

Anyone have any updates or instructions on how to connect iGlide with Condor?

Thanks
Josh
Josh Fletcher
CPI
N888DC

losnively

Post by losnively » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:20 pm

There are several steps that you need to take. (And, no, you don't use the "simulation" setting in iGlide to connect to Condor.) Go get a cup of tea or coffee, set aside an hour or so, and take a deep breath - the process isn't fast.

First, you have to get Condor to send the data stream to an IP port so that it sends it out over your local WiFi. That, of course, assumes you have WiFi available, which is required. You need to download a utility program called "HW Virtual Serial Port" and install it in Windows. (http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html) Configure it to to use "TCP Server Mode" and "Purge Buffers when Port is Opened" in the "Settings" tab. Oh, and you'll need to use the password, "admin", to make configuration changes - that's the default value; you can change it if you want. But, remember what you change it to if you do, because you'll need it for iGlide, later. In the Virtual Serial Port tab, set the port number to 2000, as well. Again, you can use a different port number, but make sure it doesn't conflict with some other service, and make note of it because you'll need to modify another iGlide configuration parameter if you do.

Now, in Condor, under Setup and Options, turn on the NMEA output option so Condor is sending data to the port. Also, start Virtual Serial Port so it's running, which it does in the background, at least with my setup.

Next, you need to tell iGlide what the IP address of your computer is. To do that you need to startup iTunes and connect your iPad/iPhone. Under the Apps tab in iTunes, in the lower pane of that dialog window you'll find iGlide. Select it and in the list of its files you'll find one that's called config.xml. Download that to your computer and open that file in a text editor. Scroll down to around line 250 and you'll find a line: <CONNECTIONS>, with further xml under it. One of those lines under it will start with <WIFI_HOST>. In between the xml tags enter the IP address of your local computer. (You can change the port in the next line if you didn't use 2000, in the Virtual Serial Port setup.) Save the file, and reload it to the iGlide pane in iTunes. When you next start iGlide, it will load that revised file and use it. (You might have to restart iGlide after it loads the file before the IP address takes effect.)

Finally, you need to go into the iGlide Settings area and turn on (Menu -> Settings -> Interfaces and Sensors) the WiFi interface slider. Enter the password into the appropriate text field that you used to setup the Virtual Serial Port program.

If you've made it through all those steps, correctly, and you've started the Virtual Serial Port program in Windows, you should see the "Status" in that iGlide settings dialog go from Inactive to Active. (Again, it may require a restart of iGlide, before that happens.)

The next time you enter a flight in Condor, the aircraft icon in iGlide ought to jump to whatever part of the world you're flying the task in. You'll need to have downloaded the map data for iGlide for that region as well. The iGlide manual will tell you how to do that.

Contact Butterfly/AIR Avionics for more details on the connection process I've described above. When I went through it a year ago, they had little documentation, but were helpful in getting me through the steps. I suspect they have a lot more documentation now, and will send it to you if it isn't already a part of the newer manual.

I also should report that Butterfly have been very helpful and responsive in adapting iGlide to be useful with Condor. It has improved markedly since I first experimented with it a year ago, and it continues to get better and more useful. I suspect it's great for RL as well. It seems that there are a number of folks using it for their Condor flying these days.

Good luck.

jfsoaring

Post by jfsoaring » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:13 am

losnively,

Thanks a million for the detailed description on connecting iGlide to Condor.... It worked perfectly!

Much Appreciated!!

Josh
Josh Fletcher
CPI
N888DC

texaspilot

Post by texaspilot » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:12 pm

I don't see the wifi option in interfaces and sensors, only air connect... Is that what you mean?

losnively

Post by losnively » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm not sure, at this point - it seems they changed label in the software somewhere along the way. However, that's a good guess. The "AIR connect" slider is "on" in the version I'm running now, and it appears to be the only reasonable choice, so that's probably it.

Good luck,

jfair

Post by jfair » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:22 am

I see others have I Glide working with Condor, so I bought IGlide in hopes of using it. After following Butteryfly's instructions of downloading hw groups virtual serial port, setting up the serial port, setting up condor. Then setting up the config file thru ITunes for IGlide . I fire up Condor turn on IGlide switch the air connect on, get a notice that says connected. But nothing happens on the map. After checking numerous times and still nothing, I downloaded a Serial port monitor to verify data was being sent. It is. Still nothing on IGlide.

Any ideas what might be wrong? I'm 4 days into this and losing hair rapidly.

Jeff

AlexH

Post by AlexH » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Struggling to get iGlide to work with Condor. Anybody uses iGlide with Condor?

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:52 am

This used to work as you can see above. Condor has not changed, so you should contact Butterfly about it.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team