3DEM message: "Area is too wide for UTM conversion"

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Strabon

3DEM message: "Area is too wide for UTM conversion"

Post by Strabon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi I have a problem with 3DEM, when I try to convert to UTM I get this message:

"Area is too wide for UTM onversion. Click OK to use Sinusoidal projection instead"

Same problem was discussed here

I have made many maps with 3DEM and I have never had this problem before. (For example I made this map a little over a month ago)

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: 3DEM message: "Area is too wide for UTM conversion"

Post by EDB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 am

What are the coordinates of the map..?
3DEM restricts going into neighbouring UTM zones too deep.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:50 am

Hi Strabon,

With 3DEM, sinusoidal projection is a dead end for Condor 1 and Condor 2 sceneries. The Eastward and Nortward Terragen tiles are too much distorted. You can get a correct UTM conversion until 33 Terragen columns and 16 rows with 4 G0 of Ram (Have a look to Sargamatha2 for Condor 1). That is quite 3° outside of the main UTM zone eastward and westward.
But you must master your real free available RAM and stop the useless programs that are started automatically by your computer.
These programs limit drastically your free RAM.

Good Luck!
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Strabon

Post by Strabon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks.

I'm working with these tiles: N37E40-N37E45 and N37E40-N41E40

I've made maps bigger than this one and I've never had problems. Is there an alternative to 3DEM? I mean, free and as easy to use as this software

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:02 pm

QGIS is free and recommended for Condor 2 by Jbr. See his Landscape guide on the Condor web site.
Condor CN = E20

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:56 pm

There is an UTM border at E42. But if you stay east of E40 there shouldn't be a problem. But to be clear... ALL corners of the map AFTER the re-projection should be east of E40. If you select a bottom-left corner close to E40, the top-left corner might be west of E40 after re-projection. Going into a neighboring UTM zone by more then 2 degrees is considered outside UTM accuracy rules. 3DEM is very strict here.

If it happens even before selecting an area, then don't load the E40 column. Use E41 as most westerly column. 1 degrees east from the E42 border.

Are you starting a Condor V1 scenery or an V2 scenery..? You don't need 3DEM. And as Andy says; The example in the V2 Landscape guide doesn't use 3DEM.