Photo realistic scenery tutorial for C2?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

scientifantastic

Photo realistic scenery tutorial for C2?

Post by scientifantastic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 pm

I just went through the landscape creation doc/tutorial and created a landscape for my local field. It now just consists of the grey landscape. I want to make it photo realistic using aerial images. I don't need to get super detailed with 3d objects ans stuff like that, just want basic photo landscape like you would see in google earth or google maps. I have been looking around and have not found any good tutorials on this.

Anyone know where i can find a tutorial on how to do this?

janjansen

Re: Photo realistic scenery tutorial for C2?

Post by janjansen » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Can I bump this? Im interested for the exact same reasons, to create an map for my local airfield (using highest possible resolution).

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:17 am

PH-1504, KOE

JBr

Post by JBr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Please be aware that using any tool to bulk download image data is a direct breach of Google Maps terms of use and redistributing such data in the original or modified form is illegal.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 pm

JBr is right!!!

But I think Janjansen just wan't to make a small landscape for his simpit.
PH-1504, KOE

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Indeed, I would not re-distribute this scenery, it would be intended exclusively for use on the club simulator.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 am

Is something like NAIP not available in other countries?

NAIP is not an ideal source of aerial photos - especially if your scenery crosses a state boundary - as you end up with photos taken at different times of year and photos with wildly different color distributions - but these can be overcome with post-processing.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Rene Queiroz

Post by Rene Queiroz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I use the SAS Planet for make my scenerys photo-realist!
Is a very powerfull program, and use image for Bing, Nokia, Airbus, Russian satelite, Google and many others source.

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am

I'm intresting to,
following

Jan Oorthuijsen

Post by Jan Oorthuijsen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Dont wake up sleaping dogs.
Listen to JBr, a little more silence on this forum is desirable. :oops:
PH-722
WW
It’s Difficult to Soar Like An Eagle
When You’re surrounded By Turkeys

scientifantastic

Post by scientifantastic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 am

I have made some good progress figuring this out. I will post more info shortly. Basically you use a plugin for QGIS that will display google, bing, and other maps. You zoom in to get good resolution and then you export as image. Then import the images as raster layers that are georeferenced. Daily tedious process but it works well! My scenery is small, just of my local area so it’s not that bad

jmurtari

Post by jmurtari » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm new to landscapes and read this thread with some interest. Noted some concerns about using Google Earth data. I'm a commercial software guy and looked at their terms -> https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/help/terms_maps.html

You are granted fair use. The big thing, which makes sense, they don't want you to use it for a product you plan on selling. So you couldn't sell your landscape. But I don't see any issue with creating scenery for non-commercial club use.

Terms & Condiitons can be hard to read and I may have missed something. I'm interested in hearing any other perspectives.

John

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm

You may not use the (aerial-, ortho- or sat-) photo's that Google uses in Google Earth and Google Maps. That data is most of the time not theirs. They show the owners copyright in the lower right corner always. And that copyright info has to be visible always. ALWAYS...

When you read their therms, you must keep in mind that they, in the first place, are talking about Google Earth and Google maps. The software side they make and own. They only talk more into detail about the copyrighted material of others in sub pages. But they are very clear in that you have to respect the copyright of the owners in multiple sentences. And there are some more very clear restrictions.

Prohibited Conduct. Your compliance with this Section 2 is a condition of the license granted in Section 1. When using Google Maps/Google Earth, you may not (or allow those acting on your behalf to):

redistribute or sell any part of Google Maps/Google Earth or create a new product or service based on Google Maps/Google Earth (unless you use the Google Maps/Google Earth APIs in accordance with their terms of service);

copy the Content (unless you are otherwise permitted to do so by the Using Google Maps, Google Earth, and Street View permissions page or applicable intellectual property law, including "fair use");

mass download or create bulk feeds of the Content (or let anyone else do so);

use Google Maps/Google Earth to create or augment any other mapping-related dataset (including a mapping or navigation dataset, business listings database, mailing list, or telemarketing list) for use in a service that is a substitute for, or a substantially similar service to, Google Maps/Google Earth;

use any part of Google Maps/Google Earth with other people's products or services for or in connection with real-time navigation or autonomous vehicle control, except through a specific Google-provided feature such as Android Auto or Send to Car;

reverse engineer or attempt to extract the source code from Google Maps/Google Earth or any related software, except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law;

remove, obscure, or alter any Google terms of service or any links to or notices of those terms, or any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices; or

do anything inappropriate, illegal, or in violation of others' rights (including their privacy, publicity, and intellectual property rights).
If you want to use the images, you have to contact the real owners. If you may use them (with written permission) then good for you. But in most cases they ask you to pay about 300.000,= for the files needed for a basic scenery. So if it comes to court... you know what you will have to pay. This is without lawyers fees, etc...

Apanos9

Post by Apanos9 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am

Please guys revise the great guides that we can find outhere for Condor 2!

scientifantastic

Post by scientifantastic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:50 am

Ok so we know about Googles terms of use, but what's the alternative. Where can one get free aerial imagery to use in their landscapes without running into issues ( if they want to redistribute ). It would be great if there was more info on this and also a tutorial on how to create a photo-realistic scenery using these alternative sources for aerial images. I have figured out how and completed my own personal landscape already