QGIS QuickOSM: 99% of the OSM data for 'forests', 'farmland' and 'cities' for the Upstate New York USA area is missing!

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

jstodaro

QGIS QuickOSM: 99% of the OSM data for 'forests', 'farmland' and 'cities' for the Upstate New York USA area is missing!

Post by jstodaro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Hello Condor2 Landscape Developers:

Okay, I live near Middletown, New York, USA. There are two gliderports nearby: Randall (06N) and Wurtsboro (N82). The surrounding countryside, including our mountains, are completely covered with lush grass and meadows and forests consisting of a mix of coniferous and deciduous trees. Moreover, there are numerous farmlands for as far as the eye can see. Also, there are many residential areas, including small towns and a couple mid-sized cities...all within Upstate New York's Hudson Valley River region (which I've been trying to create a version of inside my Condor 2 x 2 landscape), including several major mountain ranges, such as the Shawangunk and Appalachian ranges, that have hosted many State and US National Soaring competitions over the years.

Anyway, what I've been trying to accomplish these past six weeks, as I've already alluded, is to create a Condor V2 landscape version of the above described real-world landscape so that our local soaring clubs can use it to practice (using Condor V2) for our local competitions. Also, if/when I'm ever finished with this Randall landscape, I look forward to creating a Condor V2 landscape for the Harris Hill Soaring Club..but first things first.

HERE'S THE ISSUE:
__ QGIS QuickOSM, unfortunately, continues to return to me only a fraction (maybe 2%) of the OSM attributes data/polygons actually needed to IDENTIFY all of the forests, farmlands, and cities that actually exist in and around the Hudson Valley of Upstate New York. :(

THESE ARE MY 2 x 2 RANDALL LANDSCAPE PARAMETERS:
__ tiles: 2 x 2
__ zone: 18N
__ NROWS: 1536
__ NCOLS: 1536
___ CORNER _____ LATITUDE _____ LONGITUDE ____ EASTING __ NORTHING
__ Randall TL __ 41.79362144° __ -74.75783751° ___ 520120 ____ 4626890
__ Randall TR __ 41.79110477° __ -74.20325665° ___ 566200____ 4626890
__ Randall BR __ 41.37609629° __ -74.20834228° ___ 566200____ 4580810
__ Randall BL __ 41.37855887° __ -74.75938348° ___ 520120____ 4580810

HERE ARE SOME POSSIBLE WORKAROUNDS:
__ Use the QGIS QuickOSM (Quick query) option again, only this time to download every possible combination of key/value pairs, hoping that it might return a sufficient amount of OSM data ... i.e. enough to fill my otherwise barren 2x2 Randall landscape?
__ Or, perhaps someone can recommend a substitute for QGIS QuickOSM ... I would even be willing to purchase some other GIS-type application (as long as it is reliable including getting its "attribute data" from sources other than OSM) just to see this project come to fruition. (Because, as it stands, I am blocked, unable to resume working on this until the subject issue is resolved, or there is a workaround.

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Jeez, I hope it's something I'm doing wrong! .. but I don't think so, given the questionable quality of OSM data).
    (see ATTACHMENT 1, which basically shows a barren landscape! with a few spots of farmland and forests, etc)
      (see ATTACHMENT 2, which is a photo I took during the second test flight over my landscape in Condor2, again depicting a barren landscape.
      ATTACHMENT 1
      20 QGIS QuickOSM - download OSM data - forest, farmland, residential, reservoir, waterway, aerodrome.JPG
      ATTACHMENT 2
      25 Condor2 test flight over Randall2 landscape AFTER running LandscapeEditor's Export textures to DDS function.JPG
      You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
      My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11

EDB
      Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: QGIS QuickOSM: 99% of the OSM data for 'forests', 'farmland' and 'cities' for the Upstate New York USA area is missi

Post by EDB » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm

First check if OSM has the data you need: https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?qu ... 1/-74.3623

If it has the data you need, try different OSM Keys/Tags.
      https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/
      https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

jstodaro

Re: QGIS QuickOSM: 99% of the OSM data for 'forests', 'farmland' and 'cities' for the Upstate New York USA area is missi

Post by jstodaro » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 pm

EDB wrote:
      Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm
      First check if OSM has the data you need: https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?qu ... 1/-74.3623

If it has the data you need, try different OSM Keys/Tags.
      https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/
      https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

Hello EDB ~

OK, I checked: OSM, unfortunately, has very little (guessing 2%) of the data that I really need. In fact, most of the mapped data is white space - no grass, no nothing! Hmm.

That being said, is there anything you can do to help me get my (2 x 2) Randall landscape looking just half-as-good as your "Nephi for Condor V2" scenery? :)

Which, by the way, Nephi for Condor V2 was the first scenery I purchased after Condor V2 on 2/28/18, as I've always been a big fan of Bruno Vassel and his YouTube videos where he shares his experiences each year at the US Glider Nationals in Nephi, Utah.

EDIT: I've already Donated as well.

~ Joe
      My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11