LandscapeEditor > Tools > Import tile size textures (Bitmap error)

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

jstodaro

LandscapeEditor > Tools > Import tile size textures (Bitmap error)

Post by jstodaro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 pm

What am I missing?

Okay, I've been following the landscape guide to the letter, even started all over again a number of times, but I keep getting stuck on page 31 (see attachment 1). Also, rather than just trying to explain the problem, I figured it might be easier for all, for me to just include a few screenshots. Note that the size of this Randall Airport landscape is 2 x 2 (4 tiles, same as Jiri's Tutorial landscape).

Any ideas, anyone?

I would really like to get this Randall landscape completed as soon as possible, hopefully within the next two weeks, for those members of my club who are planning to compete in the upcoming real-life Wurtsboro XC competition this coming June. As everyone is already aware, there is no better tool than Condor2 for exploring/practicing all the soaring possibilities before any real-life soaring competition.

Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Condor2 Landscape Guide (stuck on page 31) - screenshot 1 of 4 - stuck at instruction 'select Tools (gt) Import Terragen size textures'.JPG
Condor2 Landscape Guide (stuck on page 31) - screenshot 2 of 4 - BMP inputs to LandscapeEditor Tools function 'Import tile size textures'.JPG
Condor2 Landscape Guide (stuck on page 31) - screenshot 4 of 4 - Bitmap error from LandscapeEditor Tools function 'Import tile size textures'.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11

JBr

Re: LandscapeEditor > Tools > Import tile size textures (Bitmap error)

Post by JBr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

What are the dimensions of the tiles and their bit depth? They seem to have strange size, not matching neither combination of 2048px or 4096px dimensions and 24 or 32 bit depth. Also one of them has different size than the others -- are you saving the bmps with RLE compression?

jstodaro

Post by jstodaro » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm

JBr wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm
What are the dimensions of the tiles and their bit depth? They seem to have strange size, not matching neither combination of 2048px or 4096px dimensions and 24 or 32 bit depth. Also one of them has different size than the others -- are you saving the bmps with RLE compression?
---
Okay, I realize now that I should've asked for help a lot sooner...like about a week ago when I first noticed an anomaly with the output from EarthExplorer which resulted in an uncalled-for reduction in tiles from 4 x 4 to 2 x 2. Bizarre. However, because all the tools continued to process my new downsized 2 x 2 landscape data successfully, I chose to just forge ahead... just to see how far I could go, and... now we know. :(
---
PERCEIVED ANOMALY
  • The size of my landscape in tiles was originally 4 x 4 tiles; the dimensions of the tiles in meters were 92160 x 92160 (see attachment 1 to confirm that UTMtools approved my 16 x 16 landscape).
  • And when I used EarthExplorer to select my 4 x 4 area on the map, it did exactly just that -- it drew a large perfectly-positioned 4 x 4 rectangle on the map, which I used to confirm my selection. (see attachment 2 to confirm that EarthExplorer properly created my 4 x 4 selection)
  • However, (and this is when I first started realizing that something was really wrong) -- when I got to my Bulk Download basket, I immediately noticed that there were just 4 scenes -- not the 16 I originally expected and even confirmed following the selection process. In fact, I reran EarthExplorer once or twice more just to make sure that I hadn't made some erroneous selection, but the result was the same: A 2 x 2 area instead of 4 x 4. (see attachment 3 to confirm that the Bulk Download basket had received just 4 scenes instead of 16)
POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
  • Should I start at the beginning again, except this time, with a 2 x 2 landscape, instead of 4 x 4 (which, as previously mentioned, got downsized by EarthExplorer into an 2 x 2 from 4 x 4) ?
  • Should I be using the 64-bit version of QGIS Desktop instead of the 32-bit which is what I'm currently using ? (which I'm suggesting only because all the other tools I'm using are 64-bit)
  • Jiri, how can I force the 2048px or 4096px dimensions and 24 or 32 bit depth to match ? NOTE: If it helps, I'm running a Windows 10 x 64-bit system, along with the following hardware/software:
    • (PC HW/SW) Lenovo Ideapad Y510p | i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | 2 x GT-755M | 2048 x 1152, 60Hz | Win10 64-bit | Dell SP2309W 23" LCD | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Joystick and Throttle| Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudder Pedals | Condor2
  • Jiri, good catch on the one BMP that has a different size than the others ?
  • Jiri, how can I tell whether or not my BMPs are being saved with RLE compression ?
ATTACHMENT 1
CLT - UTMtools - verify Randall06N landscape lies within one UTM zone 18N.JPG
ATTACHMENT 2
USGS - EarthExplorer - select 16 scenes for Randall06N landscape.JPG
ATTACHMENT 3
USGS - EarthExplorer - Bulk Download Basket - checkout 4 scenes (but expecting 4x4).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11

JBr

Post by JBr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm

I think you are doing the things the wrong way.

1) The files you download from Earth Explorer are terrain data tiles, each covers the area of 1 square degree. Depending on where the landscape area is located, it may quite well fit inside just one such tile or, in the worst case, you would need 4 of them. That is exactly your case, as each corner of your landscape lies in different terrain data tile. Important: THOSE FILES ARE NOT THE TEXTURE TILES! Terrain data must be processed using the QGIS (as explained in the guide) and the final processed terrain data then can be exported to Condor using RawToTrn.

2) The "terragen tile textures" are square images with dimensions of powers of 2 (1024, 2048, 4096, 8192). Those images you must create yourself using some image editor, there you also set the properties of the image - the image format, compression, bit depth etc.

jstodaro

Post by jstodaro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 pm

JBr wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm
I think you are doing the things the wrong way.

1) The files you download from Earth Explorer are terrain data tiles, each covers the area of 1 square degree. Depending on where the landscape area is located, it may quite well fit inside just one such tile or, in the worst case, you would need 4 of them. That is exactly your case, as each corner of your landscape lies in different terrain data tile. Important: THOSE FILES ARE NOT THE TEXTURE TILES! Terrain data must be processed using the QGIS (as explained in the guide) and the final processed terrain data then can be exported to Condor using RawToTrn.

2) The "terragen tile textures" are square images with dimensions of powers of 2 (1024, 2048, 4096, 8192). Those images you must create yourself using some image editor, there you also set the properties of the image - the image format, compression, bit depth etc.

---
Got it! Great explanation...thanks Jiri. :D In fact, version 2 of my local landscape has been coming along great so far (thanks to your guidance several days ago). Anyway, now that I can clearly see what mistakes I had made in version 1 (of my first-time-ever Condor landscape), I now know what to look out for.. i.e. what some of the common gotchas are. For instance, I now know to make sure that my bit depth is set to 32 rather than auto prior to saving my (0000.bmp / 0001.bmp / 0100.bmp / 0101.bmp) tiles. Also, I must apologize for the other day when I accidentally misspoke and referred to "terrain data" as "texture tiles". There is a lot going on here, but I'm getting there..
:)