Dividing a large, existing landscape into smaller, downloadable, tile-sized sections of a certain size?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

jstodaro

Dividing a large, existing landscape into smaller, downloadable, tile-sized sections of a certain size?

Post by jstodaro » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello,

BACKGROUND
The scenery size in tiles of the landscape I'm designing is 19 x 19. I've been following the instructions in Jiri's Condor Landscape Guide (rev 1a) to the letter. His instructions are easy to understand. Tools have been working perfectly. Even the testing of my landscape in Condor was a complete success; in fact, I had fun soaring in thermals over my grey-textured landscape for almost 20 minutes before safely landing my glider at Randall Airport atop my grey-textured scenery, which was pretty neat! :D

PROBLEM
Approximately 30 seconds after I clicked on the [Run query] button at the bottom of the QGIS QuickOSM plugin, my Forest-scenery download request came to a screeching halt. See inline attachment. Note that I even increased the Timeout value to 600 (from 25) but that didn't help either - I still got the same error, except, it appeared after 48 seconds instead of 30. Hmm. :(

Anyway, if there were only a way to download just a few OSM files at a time (say, 4, or even 6) that'd be great! Hmm :|

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks,
Joe
QGIS - QuickOSM - Error in the python console, please report it.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jstodaro on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11

JBr

Re: QGIS QuickOSM Error in python console, please report it

Post by JBr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:06 pm

This issue is most likely caused by trying to download data for too large area. Try downloading the data for smaller area first. If it works, then download all you need per partes. Divide the landscape area to squares of certain size and download the OSM data one by one. Time demanding but should work.

jstodaro

Post by jstodaro » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 am

JBr wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:06 pm
This issue is most likely caused by trying to download data for too large area. Try downloading the data for smaller area first. If it works, then download all you need per partes. Divide the landscape area to squares of certain size and download the OSM data one by one. Time demanding but should work.

Thank you, Jiri... Good idea...I will try downloading the data for a smaller area first.. But do I need to start all over again from the very beginning? .. e.g. Google Maps, QGIS, RawToTrn, EarthExplorer, etc... or might there be an easier approach I can take, e.g. that might allow me to divide my existing (19x19) landscape into smaller tile squares of a certain size, say, 2x2 ? .. (which, in hindsight, is what I should've started with from the very beginning, as was suggested in your excellent Condor Landscape Guide), :)

Thanks Jiri, for helping get this conversation started.. :D

Any ideas anyone?
:?:

ISSUE RESOLVED (APRIL 4, 2018)
YAY!!! :D SPENT MUCH OF MY DAY THOUGH DEBUGGING PYTHON CODE, WHICH WAS A PLEASURE. 8) ANYWAY, TURNS OUT THAT WHAT WAS CAUSING THE ERROR WITH THE PYTHON CONSOLE WAS DUE TO SOME CODE BITS THAT WERE UNABLE TO HANDLE 64-BIT ADDRESSING. OH WELL. IT'S FIXED NOW. SO GLAD I GOT TO MAKE USE OF MY PYTHON PROGRAMMING SKILLS AFTER HAVING BEEN RETIRED NOW FOR FOUR YEARS. ANYWAY, IT WAS A TON OF FUN! THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY.
My rig: iBuyPower BB953 Gaming Desktop | i7-8700K 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB| Win10 64-bit | Asus 27'' 165Hz Gaming Monitor | Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack (stick, throttle, pedals) | Oculus Rift-S | Condor 2.1 | X-Plane 11