Object texture file path

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

NickB

Object texture file path

Post by NickB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 pm

The path for 'object texture' is 'condor folder' relative, which means that copying an objects to a newly created scenery means having to change the path in all objects. It would be much simpler to have a 'scenery relative" path. If there were common objects, they could still be found using ../../

Condor relative path: landscapes/NewScenery/world/Textures/NewObject.dds
Condor relative path: world/Textures/CommonObject.dds

Scenery relative path: world/Textures/NewObject.dds
Scenery relative path: ../../world/Textures/CommonObject.dds

Perhaps that option can be added, and objects found by first trying the scenery relative path and then Condor relative path if not found.

JBr

Re: Object texture file path

Post by JBr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Let's not re-invent the wheel... Condor handles relative paths quite well. Personally, I don't recommend using backward relative paths (those including ..\ ). When I was writing the guide, I tried to propose few "good practices" related to texture folders and paths.

1) Do not reference textures from other landscapes, neither directly nor relatively. That's a bad practice as not all the people have all the available landscapes.

2) For World objects, I suggest using the following folders:

• object files: \Landscapes\LandscapeName\World\Objects\
• textures: \Landscapes\LandscapeName\World\Objects\Textures\

This way you can easily reference textures just by using relative path like "Textures\texturename.dds".

3) For airports I suggest using the following or similar folder structure (XXXX is a unique identifier for each airport):

• airport G and O files: \Landscapes\LandscapeName\Airports\
• unique airport textures: \Landscapes\LandscapeName\Airports\XXXX\
• shared textures: \Landscapes\LandscapeName\Airports\Common

Then again, you can reference textures just by using "XXXX\texturename.dds" or "Common\texturename.dds".

This is IMHO the easiest way for making reusable objects.

NickB

Post by NickB » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Relative paths are simple, and having to use the LandscapeName in the path is a problem as it requires the editing of the path in every object you want to re-use.

On your points:

1) obviously, that's a non-starter, you can't point to a folder that may not be there.

2) In Condor/Condor2 sceneries, the World folder contains two folders Objects and Textures and a relative path doesn't work.

World\Objects
World\Textures

However, you are suggesting that the textures folder be moved into the Object folder

World\Objects
World\Objects\Textures

If the relative path then works, then problem solved. I will try that. It would also mean that the ..\Textures relative would also work in the original folders. I will try that too.

3) airport objects work OK with a relative path - no issue there, probably because the Textures folder is within the Airports folder.

Airports
Airports\Textures

Thanks for your input.

NickB

Post by NickB » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 am

I have tested both potential solutions and both work.

Thanks.

JBr

Post by JBr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 am

NickB wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:13 pm
2) In Condor/Condor2 sceneries, the World folder contains two folders Objects and Textures and a relative path doesn't work.

World\Objects
World\Textures

However, you are suggesting that the textures folder be moved into the Object folder

World\Objects
World\Objects\Textures
Yes, we have discussed this with Uroš when I was writing the Guide and moving the originally World\Texture folder inside the World\Objects was his idea. This way the reuse of objects is maximized, you don't need to edit any texture paths and landscape dependency is virtually non-existent.

On the other hand, I know that some landscape makers are using full paths on purpose, to make the reuse of their objects (made for their landscape and not intended to be reused anywhere else) at least little bit more complicated, if it can't be prevented totally.

I have a tool for changing paths in c3d files, but I am hesitant to make it public, as while it works, it may cause more harm than good in the hands of inexperienced user.

danpal

Post by danpal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Bonjour dans mes paysages j'utilise des objets crées spécialement + mes habituels.
Un traitement par lot pour changer le nom de scène dans les *.c3d serait super.

Ceci est souhaité par mes amis, membre de Condor Cafe réalisateurs de scène (vive l'équipe).

Si ce type d'outil existe nous serions ravis de l'exploiter.

En chantier : une demi douzaine de scènes.

Merci pour tout les outils que vous avez fait .

Hello in my landscapes I use objects created especially + my usual.
Batch processing to change the scene name in * .c3d would be great.

This is desired by my friends, a member of Condor Cafe Stage Directors (long live the team).

If this type of tool exists we would be delighted to exploit it.

In the works: half a dozen scenes.

Thank you for all the tools you have done.

Bravo Google traduition!

Au revoir