Utah (Nephi), USA, for C2

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Snoman314

Re: Utah (Nephi), USA, for C2

Post by Snoman314 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am

rvn wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 am
Sure, given the permission, anybody could do that. Torrent would be ideal... maybe archive.org might be useful in this way. Get that permission and go ahead. Hell even authors themselves could easily do that. That wasn't my point though.

My idea wasn't much about what we all (users) need, but rather what the authors need. And that is an easy and centralized way to share their "product" and the possibility of getting a reward for the work they've done for the community. Voluntary reward that is, but something is always better than nothing. Maybe there are some people willing to pay a few beers worth for the countless hours of fun they are having with these "free" sceneries or addons in general. Or maybe I'm wrong. Nobody knows, until we try.
I agree with that sentiment. It seems crazy to me that in this day and age, a middleman is getting money for someone else's work, and they get nothing. (I understand that maybe they're not making a profit per se, but still).
rvn wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 am
And if anyone else would like to make this idea happen, by all means. I'd be only glad since I don't have that much time I could allocate for this project and definitely can't guarantee it'll be done anytime soon™. My reasoning for even thinking about making this site, given how much spare time I have or rather don't have, is the benefit of access to the one of the fastest internet connections in the world for practically nothing and that I do sw/hw development for living.
I haven't got the experience to be of much help here, but I think a pretty minimal setup would be fine. Use a pre-fab page template, add download links and author paypal links, and you're in business. Don't overthink it.

Crakob

Post by Crakob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am

A short question.

The additional textures that come as extra zip files. I extract them into the Nephi textures folder ? Means, all dds files into one folder ?

Thanks

Christian
CRAKOB = CRA

Xanix

Post by Xanix » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Crakob wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am
A short question.

The additional textures that come as extra zip files. I extract them into the Nephi textures folder ? Means, all dds files into one folder ?

Thanks

Christian
Hello. Yes, the ‘dds’ files are placed in the same folder… ‘Textures’.

> Condor2\Landscapes\Nephi\Textures
Kind regards to all,
Xanix

Xanix

Post by Xanix » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 pm

EDB wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 am
Don't forget to thank WW.
He made the airports and objects.

But thanks for the kind words.

PS
I currently have no membership on Condor-Club either and also can't download other scenery. So you guys are not alone... :wink:
To the creators; EDB & WW and The Condor Team...

Where are my manners? Thank you very much, for this great scenery. Superb job!
Kind regards to all,
Xanix

yautay

Post by yautay » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Amazing scenery, appreciate your's efforts to bring it to V2.
Thank you so much!

Waiting for Sierra mountains, and Yosemite Valley now :)

prykpryk

Post by prykpryk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi. Can you tell me how many files there should be in Textures directory with all texture packs downloaded? Just to check if I'm missing any.

Snoman314

Post by Snoman314 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks for your work @EDB

Quick question: there appear to be 3 different XCSoar map files. I don't see what the difference is. Can you enlighten me?

Farlander

Post by Farlander » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way, but i really have yet to experience any of this great stuff it does for the community, except for the scenery downloads. That is not to say i realize it's great for the community, i never said i wanted CC gone, did i. It's a great service for those who wants it. But It feels a bit wrong that you're shaming me for not buying a product which i am not using (except for the scenery downloads), and reasoning as such that i'm a "creep".

You say 12€ is so little. Is that how you think about all products? because your bill won't be so cheap anymore if you do that. 12€ for only downloading "free" sceneries sounds expensive to me.

You can reply to me in PM or in the proper thread for this kind of discussion. I'll leave it there. fwiw i got all parts of Nephi downloaded (ortho) and it's an amazing area. Reccomended download everyone!

(post edited by Tom to remove abusive comments quoted which had been posted by another user who has now been removed from forums)

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 pm

prykpryk wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:42 pm
Hi. Can you tell me how many files there should be in Textures directory with all texture packs downloaded? Just to check if I'm missing any.
With the Empty.dds included it should be 5185 dds texture files in the Textures folder.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm

yautay wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm
Amazing scenery, appreciate your's efforts to bring it to V2.
Thank you so much!

Waiting for Sierra mountains, and Yosemite Valley now :)
I'm currently out of disk space. You can help me make more sceneries by leaving a small donation... See my signature.

EDB

Post by EDB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Snoman314 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
Thanks for your work @EDB

Quick question: there appear to be 3 different XCSoar map files. I don't see what the difference is. Can you enlighten me?
The difference is the level of detail :

D3: Every little village and road that we know of.
D2: No small villages or smaller roads.
D1: Only major cities and roads, no railroads.

For Utah, there is not much difference between the three files.

EDB

Post by EDB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 pm

For people having problems with downloading... I have placed an URL in my signature with an other download option. I am monitoring the downloads and if the number of downloads exceeds the number of donations I will remove this download option.

Snoman314

Post by Snoman314 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:11 am

EDB wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 pm
For people having problems with downloading... I have placed an URL in my signature with an other download option. I am monitoring the downloads and if the number of downloads exceeds the number of donations I will remove this download option.
I'm going to try again when I get home, but FYI I'm having trouble with the donation page being stuck in Dutch.

Snoman314

Post by Snoman314 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 am

EDB wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 pm
The difference is the level of detail :

D3: Every little village and road that we know of.
D2: No small villages or smaller roads.
D1: Only major cities and roads, no railroads.

For Utah, there is not much difference between the three files.
Brilliant, thanks for the explanation!

EDB

Post by EDB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am

Snoman314 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:11 am
I'm going to try again when I get home, but FYI I'm having trouble with the donation page being stuck in Dutch.
Changed settings from "Dutch-English" into "International". I hope this helps.