Grey scenery

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

GregHart1965

Grey scenery

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 am

My scenery looks like this despite vibrant dds patches with alpha generated from Water Alpha. Also no ground objects showing (path? in .mtl file) nor any water.
Shot1.jpg
When starting the flightI get a message saying the scenery is not registered, running demo version, contact scenery developer for full version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBr

Re: Grey scenery

Post by JBr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 am

Somehow you managed to enable the built-in scenery anti-piracy protection for commercial sceneries. However, this should not happen if you create your scenery properly. Most likely yours is corrupted somehow.

As you had problem with creating the terrain before, have you created the terrain and whole landscape from scratch again or is this a result of some tinkering with old and new files?

JBr

Post by JBr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am

Anyway, no matter how you did this, I think the only solution now is to create the base structure of the landscape again. Keep your textures, so you don't need to compress them again, and the do the following (this is basically a digest of the guide):
  • Create a folder for new landscape in your Condor2\Landscapes folder, e.g. Condor2\Landscapes\MyLandscape.
  • Create the heightmaps folder in your MyLandscape folder, e.g. Condor2\Landscapes\MyLandscape\HeightMaps.
  • Open RawToTrn, load your BIL file with terrain data, crop it if needed and finally fill in the calibration data and save the terrain. Don't forget to save the terrain file to your landscapes' root folder and to add the .trn extension to the name, i.e. Condor2\Landscapes\MyLandscape\MyLandscape.trn. Tr3 patches will be saved in the HeightMaps subfolder.
    Sidenote regarding calibration: Calibration in RawToTrn is precise, i.e. 90 by 90. Old V1 landscapes that were calibrated manually are usually calibrated with some error, i.e. they are not 90 by 90, but for example 89.9 by 90.1 or something like that. If you are just converting such an old landscape and you want to use the old textures, you need to recalibrate your new V2 terrain using the manual calibration with calibration points from V1. ideally using the old CalibrationPoints.csv. If that's your case, the values of the initial calibration in the RawToTrn is not important, as you need to run the old fashioned calibration inside the Landscape Editor anyway.
  • Load it in the Landscape Editor so all the other necessary subfolders are created. If the manual recalibration is needed, put the CalibrationPoints.csv into MyLandscape\Working folder and reload the landscape in LE. Then recalibrate the landscape and save it. Close LE.
  • Now it should be possible to put back the Working folder from the previous not properly working version and the texture folder with your proceessed textures.
  • Load the landscape in LE again, import textures, import forest maps, etc.
  • Generate forest maps, generate thermal map, generate flightplanner map, generate THA and FHA files and you should have a working landscape.
EDIT: Don't forget .cup and .ini files.

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:06 pm

LOL - God trust me to break the thing in the first week!!! :roll:
Definitely tinkering around that caused it - ok so its corruption, I know what thats is, lived in Africa all me life.

Back to the drawing board..... Thanks Jbr - I'll try not to be too annoying.

JBr

Post by JBr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:30 pm

Don't worry, we're on the same boat :)

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 pm

So I made a clean rebuild and now have colour but no water effect (the river under the plane is mapped in the alpha channel - yet no effect shows). The .dds files in "mysceneryname/textures" have alpha which shows up as whitish blobs on the images in windows file explorer. These were generated with Water Alpha. Is the water an automatic effect that is placed according to alpha in .dds tiles?
Shot2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm

From what I recall flying in the Slovenia 2 this afternoon, water effects can only be seen at low altitude. At least with my graphics card (Nividea GTX 960M).
Condor CN = E20

JBr

Post by JBr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 pm

As mentioned by Andy, water is only visible from greater distance at certain light angles, most likely you just need to get much closer to it than on your screenshot.

airwave

Post by airwave » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Many many thanks to AndyS for taking the time to port over the Scottish Scenery.
I expanded the files into condor 2 scenery, but I'm not getting any of the photo overlays on the terrain.
Hills look about right, I'm launching from Aboyne and it's wet (I could understand if I was launching from Portmoak and it was wet...:-) )
Have I screwed something up ? (Highly likely with me)

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:42 pm

I will do a download of my own scenery to check. Anybody else with this problem?

Edit - My download and zip was OK. Check your Condor 2\Landsacpe\Scotland3 folder structure. It should have the same folders as other sceneries.

The dds textures are in the Textures folder. If you have nothing in there then you have zip extracted them somewhere else.

2nd Edit = My CC download and extract has given the same error as yours, all grey and a big puddle of water. I do not understand this. All was OK before upload to CC. I particularly removed all alpha channel from the textures with a Nvdxt command line run which took 18 hours. There should be no water textures in there. I need to look more closely at this problem.
Condor CN = E20

airwave

Post by airwave » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 pm

I shall await your guidance o great guru . . . 8)

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

JBr wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 pm
As mentioned by Andy, water is only visible from greater distance at certain light angles, most likely you just need to get much closer to it than on your screenshot.
Thanks for all the help - everything looks peachy - had to see the water from a certain angle (low sun angle) it works great!!! :D :D . Im going to cover the whole ocean in alpha!

You guys have done an incredible job with all the software. I did have to recalibrate by hand but as "calibrationPoints.csv" produced an odd result. All set now though. Now to populate airports and objects....

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Ref big patch of grey/black textures in Scotland 3. My apologies to all those that have downloaded it with the missing textures.

I will upload a patch containing the missing textures to Condor Club tonight. Thierry is very busy with CC but I hope that the patch will be available very soon. This patch will not change the scenery version, but will give you all back Aboyne. Sorry again for the error.
Condor CN = E20

airwave

Post by airwave » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Nothing to be sorry for, thanks loads for the work you are doing, hugely appreciated.
(I fly RG out of Aboyne, you'll see me on spot the gliders most decent wave days)

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 pm

I have had a quick go in the Scotland 3 wave out of Feshie in NW wind, seems to work quite well. Would be interested to see how high the Condor 2 Scotland wave goes to.

Thanks for your support and interest. I have retired from active gliding, last flight in 2014, so plenty of time for this scenery lark. It does take some time!

Hope Greg does not mind his grey scenery thread being used for Scotland problems.
Condor CN = E20