PDA screen proportions

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Pit_R

PDA screen proportions

Post by Pit_R » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Do you have as on screenshot?
In C2 I have not proportional pda display. :/ My monitor is 1920x1200 so the C. resolution.

C1 vs C2
2018-02-24 15_03_01-GreenshotC1.jpg
2018-02-24 15_05_57-GreenshotC2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

OXO
Condor Team

Re: PDA screen proportions

Post by OXO » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

This is correct. No problems here. Move along!
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm

What is correct? You don't have this distortion? How to fix it? Please tell me.

to send me a PM.

sadatoni

Post by sadatoni » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:25 pm

I think it is on purpose since the PDA is looks to be turned slightly.
N5503T CN(0OU)

John Ferguson

MarkRebuck

Post by MarkRebuck » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 pm

OXO, Please reconsider this design. Circles should be... Circular. I know Condor is your baby, and nobody likes to be told that their baby isn't perfect, but... This is nuts. Even the flight track screen shows circles as tall ovals. Find one other example of a GPS which does not show a circular movement as a circle!

Or maybe take a user poll. I absolutely guarantee that your users want circles to appear as circles on the PDA!

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm

:/ If it is on purpose or by accident I also think it need to be fixed.
Please change proportions of PDA to natural, without distortion (as it was on C1).

Edit: Deformation is about 20%... Below visualisation of factory replaced LCD screen on new Condor device. ;)

2018-02-24 18_21_23-Greenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

to send me a PM.

zou

Post by zou » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 pm

From my first test flight of Condor 2, the distortion of the PDA jumped to my eyes !!!! :shock:
In discussing with several pilot, they also find this defect very damaging.
What we do not understand is how is it possible not to have noticed during the beta test ...?
In any case, it is absolutely necessary to correct this problem, please !
Thank you in advance and congratulations for the rest. :D

Ps: Condor 2 was created by a small team, now we are hundreds of "beta testers" around the world!
So the defects to correct are quickly detected, so do not forget to take into consideration our remarks. Thank you.

JBr

Post by JBr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:55 pm

This hasn't been caught as a bug because it simply is not a bug. Haven't you heard about perspective?

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 pm

its not a bug, but I think many of us, my self included, would like a different PDA mount, or twist the mount so the PDA is a little less angled ;). Alternatively, 6DoF trackir support so we can look straight at it ?

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 pm

JBr wrote: This hasn't been caught as a bug because it simply is not a bug. Haven't you heard about perspective?

I am almost sure you are joking. Right?
Where is this perspective? Pilot on screenshot looks directly at PDA.
BTW - lcd screen is not even centred on device... Looks like pda pictures was just resized to taller frame.

Shot10.jpg

to send me a PM.

zou

Post by zou » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Totally agree with PIT.
Bug or no bug we do not care about the name, but it is an uncomfortable problem of rendering!
If you can rotate the PDA as in the real no problem. But on Condor2 the PDA is fixed !!

When we turn TP, here's what it gives: (see screenshot below)

I created at the bottom of the TP a normal circle!
If you still do not see the difference...! :shock:

MarkRebuck

Post by MarkRebuck » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 am

I dug out the calipers and did the math:

The width of the "circles" on the PDA is approximately 75% of the height. The arc cosine of 0.75 is 41.4 degrees. The PDA screen is clearly not face-on, but it isn't 41 degrees either. It feels like 20 degrees, based on my super-scientific method of "Held up a protractor until the rotation looked about the same as the PDA.". It might be more than 20 degrees, *maybe* even 30 degrees. But it is nowhere close to 40 degrees. The cosine of 20 degrees is 0.94, so that's all the distortion we should see.

So, either:

1. The PDA is rotated 40 degrees, which is absolutely nuts. I would never accept that from a PDA mount. I would remount it to be far less rotated and so would every other pilot. Please fix it so it is more face-on.

or

2. It's a bug. Admit it and add it to the list of stuff to fix in 2.0.1.

or

3. I measured incorrectly. Post more accurate measurements, I'm willing to reconsider.

Please understand that I *LOVE* Condor. I spend a rather sizable percentage of my life with it. And V2 looks SOOOO much better than V1 everywhere outside the cockpit. I'm trying to help. But the Condor development team appears to have adopted the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" policy. It's quickly turning into X-Plane, with bugs that go on for years while the developers put on blinders and refuse to accept the idea that maybe users aren't idiots, and have valid concerns.

Cheers,
-Mark Rebuck

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 am

I guess I know where's the problem. It simply is a bug. Haven't you heard about aspect ratio?

C2 virtual pda device looks very similar to Naviter's Oudie. (NB: that's why lcd screen is not centred).

Oudie have "modern" aspect ratio (16:9) - old pda from 2005 (like C1) was 4:3.

Unfortunately C2 pda is exactly the same as C1 - with one exception: old 4:3 screens are resized to 16:9 frame.

That's all folks

to send me a PM.

Pirat flyer

Post by Pirat flyer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 am

I've been on the fence in regards to buying V2 but after checking out few videos on youtube this PDA thing felt unberable, hope it gets resolved soon... till then V1 it is.
Reg: SP-2610 CN: Golf - SpeedBattle [UPWARD and ONWARD!]