Low & Slow

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Bre901

Re: Low & Slow

Post by Bre901 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 am

UrosM wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am
If you join and then disconnect you already have fpl.
In order to use XCSoar, you don't even have to disconnect, if you use CoTaCo to do the conversion, you can have it convert the fpl wile Condor is starting (ALT-TAB is your friend)
Won't tell here where to look.
Neither will I
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

mada2000

Post by mada2000 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

UrosM wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am
If you join and then disconnect you already have fpl. Won't tell here where to look.
So disabling save fpl dont solve anything. That is a destiny of hosting same race on different days.
Support conclusion. with addition - it is annoying :evil:

Workaround :-) :evil:
Just ater login the game, you have to enter the game and exit. Than you start Free Flight, open the lasttrack.ftr, save it as fpl and you are able to create task for xcsoar - so it doesn't make sens to block "save" functionality.
BTW - my computer hanged on Matamata scecenery last night before the start. Reloaded scenery - will see on Saturday :-)

mada2000

Post by mada2000 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 am
In order to use XCSoar, you don't even have to disconnect, if you use CoTaCo to do the conversion, you can have it convert the fpl wile Condor is starting (ALT-TAB is your friend)
Not in my case due to the fact that ALT+TAB often freezes my side monitors (condor's bug) :mrgreen:

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Hmm, I thought the solution you guys had in mind didnt save the randseed (it should just have a hash of the seed), but it appears it does.
So yeah, that makes it useless. Saving flight plans will be enabled from now on.
Not in my case due to the fact that ALT+TAB often freezes my side monitors (condor's bug) :mrgreen:
Running condor in full screen rather than full screen emulation solves that. But doesnt make it any easier to alt tab out of it...

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:47 am

Yesterday during Low and Slow 3, someone was unable to start. It was said in chat that this could be due to the start line being closed and possibly be related to the "pseudo regatta" 1 min start window. But to be sure, I just checked, and even 15 minutes after the closing of a 1 min start window, you can still start (of course, the closing of the start line is your start time).

So this person must simply have been above start height.

As for why I often use these 1 minute windows; its like a regatta start in the sense that everyone starts in the same conditions and flies as a flock - at least initially, it saves time as there is no benefit in waiting for 30 minutes for a perfect time to start and there is also no need to wait 30 minutes after finishing to know your result. But compared to regatta, it reduces the difficulty of timing a good start and further reduces the risk of collisions during and shortly after start.

mada2000

Post by mada2000 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 am

Good proposal, but IMHO I would incresed the window time to 5 min :-)

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 am

5 mins @ 200 KmH = ~17Km. Thats a lot of separation for a "regatta start". I might do that if LnS had full servers, but often with only 10-15 players, some of which wont survive the first few minutes, I like to prevent the flying alone effect as much as possible or delay it for as long as possible.

Keep in mind, while my tasks are often challenging, starting is never the problem; airstarts are almost always well above the start line and whenever possible, there is a good source of lift nearby. So you shouldnt really need extra time, regardless if you join when the server started or in the last second. One minute should be plenty of margin to time your start even if you are not a pro.

Unless of course, like me, you are not paying attention :)

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 am

This evening we again fly in Matamata. I highly recommend you download a PDA map that shows the terrain altitude.
There are some on condor club like this one:
https://www.condor-club.eu/srchgoodies/0/?id=2341

EDB also uploaded some nice ones here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... -JQUV0ZaK4

(put them in your landscapes/matamata folder and select them in the flight planner by right clicking on the map and choosing maps)

Xcsoar users can download the XCM map here:
http://dl.virtualsoaring.eu/?dir=PDA-ma ... r/Matamata

gromm

Post by gromm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 am

This sounds like fun to me - I'm looking for realistic tasks that don't involve bonkers high speed winds, as I intend to graduate to real life flying, and looking out for other traffic is an important part of that!

Unfortunately I'm in Pacific Time, so your "late night" time turns into "work hours" for me.

I'd love to be able to download the tasks and ghosts though. Are they on the web somewhere?

J4p032

Post by J4p032 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 am

At the end completed the task. Was not able to upload the file. The server was closed. Hope to upload it tomorrow....

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 am

gromm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 am
I'd love to be able to download the tasks and ghosts though. Are they on the web somewhere?
Yes, you can download them from condor club:
https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/tasks/2 ... rue&id=338

The flight tracks can be found under race results. then clicking the little chart icon.

But a disclaimer; these tasks are not "realistic" in the sense that no RL competition organiser would ever dream of making such tasks, with such low start altitudes, dangerous mountain crossings etc. They are an attempt to create some fun and varying challenges in a short time. The conditions are more realistic than most condor tasks, so very few 5m/s thermals and VNE ridges, but dont expect to fly IRL like you would fly those tasks. For that I think some of the flat land competitions would be a better training but in condor I personally find 3 hours of weak thermals on a flat land a little... boring....
At the end completed the task. Was not able to upload the file. The server was closed. Hope to upload it tomorrow....
its open again for the next 5 hours.

gromm

Post by gromm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 pm

janjansen wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 am

But a disclaimer; these tasks are not "realistic" in the sense that no RL competition organiser would ever dream of making such tasks, with such low start altitudes, dangerous mountain crossings etc.
I get that. My understanding of IRL flight planning is that you always need to be in easy reach of a good place to land out. Just in case "gravity stops working*". ;)

I'm also grateful for the guy who built the Cascades scenery, which also features my home club field at Hope, BC. This makes for a nice flight planning tool where I can test to see how scary a particular route might be.

* I know, I know. More like you hit the wrong downdraft or the wind shifts such that you can't get lift anymore. I kid. Geez.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:05 am

Day 6 briefing

This may be the hardest Low And Slow task so far.
As usual, it starts easy enough, with a ridge near the start that provides good lift. The wind is strong but the ridges are low and far apart, the rising terrain is treacherous particularly on the first leg. Later on, beware of the effect of water on thermal formation.

Its early in the day, thermal activity is high but the inversion and ceiling is low, thermals are weak and often blue.

Beware of hang glider activity on the ridge north of TP1.

Server "BF Low and Slow Day 6" starts at 20:30 CET
20 minute join time
Airstart
1 min warmup time
5 min start window

All planes are available, but wing span may matter more than wing loading today.

Better PDA maps and xsoar maps for matamata can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18823&start=30#p163010

J4p032

Post by J4p032 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:15 am

Completed!!!!! WAS REALLY HARD!!!

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 am

03:13:01 :shock:
My man, you deserve bonus points for persistence, big congrats on making it !

It was tricky, I warned you :) but if you followed the terrain, you only needed ~2 or 3 thermals. If that. I initially wanted to make the task with NO thermals and I actually test flew the entire task in a 18m deliberately avoiding any thermals and using only ridge lift, I got within 1 Km of the finish. I probably could have done it if I had used the ridges on the NW of the lake. I didnt save the flight track, but these are the ridges I used:

They would sometimes give 3+ m/s, so it pays to fly them back and forth as they give better climb rate than the thermals and the lift extended to well above the ridges.

To make it more doable, I did add thermals. Flat land thermals where mostly weak (1-2 m/s), and often blue, but they where plenty full. Not just under the clouds, here is a screenshot of the start area with thermal helpers enabled:
Shot101.jpg
Ridge thermals are always stronger in condor though, and you should use those whenever possible.

I didnt see your flight, but I watched Narko's stream. So let me give some more unsolicited advice. On the first leg, he ignored the blue thermals he flew through, possibly confusing them with ridge lift? Then he flew around 3 or 4 nice fresh cumulus clouds that where just a few degrees off track, until finally he got to 200m AGL above the water (even though there was a mountain to his right, pretty much on track), and then tried to look for thermals under one. At that point, it becomes really hard as thermals may start higher than that. And yet, he did almost catch two at like 150m and 50m, but didnt manage to center either.

This video may be useful to him, or anyone who has difficulty centering thermals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WoZTN0kvE

Its not quite how I do it (and Im no expert by any stretch) but its a good start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.