I bought condor2 but I'm pretty sure it's condor1

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

virking

I bought condor2 but I'm pretty sure it's condor1

Post by virking » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 pm

My 10 years old PC with GeForce 9800 GT have no problem to run condor2. Graphics looks very similar to condor1 so I have some doubt if the installer I have download is the isntaller of condor1 or 2.
The good news are two:
-Probably I have not to change my computer or graphic video.
-Everything is very familiar.

Uros
Condor Team

Re: I bought condor2 but I'm pretty sure it's condor1

Post by Uros » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 pm

That's great news!

Have you tried fullscreen resolution (possibly on 3 screens), anisotropic filtering set to max and AA set to max? How many FPS do you get with this settings in MP game with 20+ gliders and thick clouds with low cloud base, dense cirrus and some lenticularis?
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

Lecro

Post by Lecro » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm

condor 2= condor 1 + plane pack 3 + wave + dx11
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pm

That's not true, Condor 1 had wave and 13 planes.
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

virking

Post by virking » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm

I tried full screen 1024*768*32, I set Max possible graphics option and the FPS is 30, the game is playeble :)
I cant try to play online because i got this error every time:

"you were kicked by server.
Slot request timed out detected."

pekkis924

Post by pekkis924 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

[quote=virking post_id=153182 time=1519225555 user_id=878]
My 10 years old PC with GeForce 9800 GT have no problem to run condor2. Graphics looks very similar to condor1 so I have some doubt if the installer I have download is the isntaller of condor1 or 2.
The good news are two:
-Probably I have not to change my computer or graphic video.
-Everything is very familiar.
[/quote]

Issue is your 10 years old pc. I got a GTX980 1440p and to me this is totally different game. Everything is way better. There are some familiar elements like PDA and keys in general. After flying a 139km task I can only say WOW!! if you fly just local 2 mins you know nothing. The fact that there are only new gliders is very good thing. And as it is there are already enough gliders for anything. That D2 is quite a treat!!

Good job condor team. Expectations exceeded!

Koriel

Post by Koriel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 am

I've got a decent pc, 8700K, 32G RAM, couple of M2 drives, 1080ti..

I run it on a 3440x1440 with everything maxed out..

Must agree with topic starter.. I was expecting a lot more on the gfx side. I use a Trackir, and the view shifting is still as slow as it was on V1. No 6dof cockpits, 2d instuments. This is after more than 10 years after V1 was released... It feels like a rehash of V1 and a quick way to score some money. Under the hood there could be a lot of changes, but as far as gfx go, nothing that justifies this much money.

I tend to buy flightsims indiscriminatley. Bought V2 because I've enjoyed V1 so much in the past. Should have waited for/watched some video's would not have bought V2.
Reg-#: PH-666
Comp-#: JW

witor

Post by witor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am

After more than 10 years of waiting for V2 I was expecting more...

I was hoping for improved weather and visually I had something like this in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-A2K54Ofo

I get the fact that Condor team is much smaller compared to some large developers and that my expectations were quite high, but what we got is not even close to what I was hoping for.

- AS far as I know still no possibility of reconnecting after being disconnected from the server.
- People were requesting 6dof for ages. Is it really that difficult to give them the option to move the head by 20 as in real glider if they wish to do so?
- Clouds look just like white puffs. Hd clouds in condor 1 look much better.
- I was hoping that tandem flying will be possible.
- I have read that people are getting blue screens... Really? Stability and being able to run the game without crashes was on the top of my list.
- I was hoping for more dynamic weather. Moving fronts, rain...
- Still the same old PDA. Not really that important as most people use external pda, but I am sure there was room for some improvements and new features that could be implemented instead of the useless watch.

Is great to see an improved wave, streeting, shadows on the scenery and other improvements, but in general, I agree that from the user perspective condor 2 looks more like a small update rather than a new version that people were waiting for more than 10 years. Maybe a lot is happening under the hood, but an overall impression is not that great.

I am still not sure if I can justify spending 60 euros on it.

Well, I guess we will have to live with what we got...

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

Dang, I have to say, Aerofly FS2 looks absolutely stunning :shock: . At times I almost couldnt tell I was looking at a simulation. I didnt realize it was that good. But then I look at the vario indicator, and I already know it not worth flying for anything other than amazing graphics.

I think you have to keep in mind though, that condor is developed by a small, 2-3 people team doing this after their regular hours. They are not going to make a state of the art graphics engine. They have however, made state of the art flight dynamics and atmospheric simulation, and there is nothing like it for simulating races.

Here is my suggestion for "V3"; Uros, oxo, .. focus on what you do best. License a graphics engine like Aerofly or license your physics engine to them. Just imagine condor with those Aerofly graphics.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 am

Koriel wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 am
. I use a Trackir, and the view shifting is still as slow as it was on V1.
Go to options, and decrease or disable view smoothing. Your trackir will respond instantly.

And while I agree V2 is not earth shatteringly different from V1, I do think the atmospheric model is improved substantially, ridge lift feels a lot more accurate, thermals make more sense. That alone is worth 60 euro for another 10 years of fun.

Ed

Post by Ed » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Aerofly fs2, it's just beautifull but
no multiplayers, no winch, no aerotow, no wave, no real ridge ...
This beautifull scenery, it's orbx product https://orbxdirect.com/product/lowi/afs2
-------------------------------------------------------
Ed
F-CAED (EC)
-------------------------------------------------------

Regex

Post by Regex » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Is it at all possible, however how much work it would be, to convert those sceneries into condor sceneries? If yes: Point me in the right direction, please ;D

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Ed wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm
This beautifull scenery, it's orbx product https://orbxdirect.com/product/lowi/afs2

Aah. That explains. I have to say, many of those orbx sceneries look breath taking.
Of course, at a price. If you add up the base pack, vector,europe, you're look at €200 or so:
https://orbxdirect.com/category/ftx-global
Id still consider it if it where an option.

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Tue May 28, 2019 11:15 am

janjansen wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 pm
Of course, at a price. If you add up the base pack, vector,europe, you're look at €200 or so:
Id still consider it if it where an option.
Plus a new PC cause mine ....well....

lordauriel

Post by lordauriel » Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm

I have to whiteknight for Condor2 here.
Compared to x-plane condor2 blows it out of the water, it's not even funny. Graphically.. to be honest I am glad that condorv2 is so efficient, it runs smooth as butter in VR and that is what counts for me. Also many addon sceneries look beautiful if photo-textures are your thing (around ZL16 I think).
Condor's clouds look 100 times better than what x-plane has to offer. That's the strength of prepar3d admittedly.

The focus of condor is flight modelling and providing realistic conditions for glider pilots. I really cannot complain about that aspect because I use condor2 for both proficiency training and, please don't laugh, I even learned to center thermals properly in condor.

All that said, a few tweaks would massively increase the "immersion" you get in Condor.
1) sounds overhaul
and 2) atmospheric scattering

but I see condorv2 more as a professional sim than an immersion "game".

Compared to Condor 1 there is a LOT that has changed under the hood. most sound fx and the PDA are literally 1:1 leftovers but it's not like this is a dev team of 20 people with a budget of 200k USD+ .

imho Condorv2 is much much more that the sums of its parts.